czwartek, 30 lipca 2026

Crazy Goose



Once every 568 years, the one-of-a-kind Crazy Goose is born. Legend has it that a curly green feather torn from its rump during the spring equinox can perform a true miracle! Crazy Goose is incredibly fast and cunning, making it impossible to catch such a goose, let alone rip anything from its goose-like body. One day, however, someone accomplished this extraordinary feat. But first things first…
There was a troll named Nut (all trolls are named after trees), but everyone called him Nut because, for a troll, he was unusually small (he was two meters tall, while the average adult troll is four to five meters tall). But that wasn't all… not only was he tiny, he was also terribly unlucky. He always walked under ladders, black cats crossed his path several times a day (probably just out of spite!!!), and all mirrors shattered in his presence.
One day, Orzech decided to leave his home village and set out into the world to seek his fortune.
Unfortunately, on the very first day of his journey, misfortune befell him. The bridge he was crossing collapsed. An angry goddess living in the river into which he had fallen ordered him to rebuild the bridge by spring, or risk being transformed into a statue of a young troll throwing a discus. The troll had no idea what the discus was, but he preferred not to take any chances, so he set about building it. He was strong, so construction proceeded quickly. However, every time he was about to finish, the bridge collapsed, and the goddess seethed with rage, inventing ever more bizarre statues into which she would transform the vile "bridge destroyer"—as she called him.
The deadline for completion was approaching; the next day, the goddess was to enchant him. The resigned troll had no strength left. Dusk was falling when he went to look for something to eat and was almost eaten himself. In the cave, he came across a dragon devouring a small goose. Nut felt sorry for the defenseless creature, so he decided to save it. After all, what did he have to lose: either a scaly monster would devour him, or some green, naked nymph would turn him into a fish in the desert?
So he grabbed the goose by the tail and pulled with all his might. The goose convulsed and (to the troll's surprise) began to curse very badly!
"You cruel man!!! Let go of my tail!!! You'll crush my feathers!!! I can handle it myself!
" "I see how well you're doing!!!" Nut tried to shout over the roar of the enraged dragon. "What are you doing there?!"
"I'm reading a book!!!" the goose sneered.
"You don't have to be rude! I'm trying to help you!!!"
The goose cursed again and kicked the troll square in the eye.
- I'm trying to save your feathered rump and this is how you repay me?
Suddenly, the dragon roared painfully and collapsed unconscious to the ground.
"Well..." came a muffled, goose-like voice from within the dragon's mouth. "And that's it... He fainted. They always faint when their wisdom teeth are pulled!
" "What?" he asked, surprised.
"What, 'what'? I'm a dentist! Oh, goose kicks... I'm stuck!!! Hey, you there!!! Help me get out of here!!!
" "He didn't eat you at all???
" "What, are you crazy? Dragons don't eat geese... well... now you can really be useful... pull!"
The troll grabbed the only curled feather protruding from his rump and pulled with all his might. Suddenly, the feather popped out of his rump, the goose from the dragon's mouth, and a particularly nasty curse from the goose's beak.
"You did... you ripped out my feather!
" "Oh my!" he said, concerned. "I'm sorry!
" "You don't seem to get it!!! It was a MAGIC feather!
" "Oh my!" he exclaimed. "So I have three wishes?" he asked, beaming.
The goose looked at him irritably.
"Someone's been reading too many fairy tales... Only one wish! And make it quick, or I have to catch up with other customers!"
Now, Orzeszek thought, my life has a meaning... I have ONE wish... what could I spend it on... oh my... I have to finish this bridge, or the nymph will transform me into something and the wish will be gone..." Suddenly, the feather flared with green flame, and a magnificent new bridge appeared in place of the old, ruined one.
The goose was overjoyed, but after a moment, his face darkened.
The goose stood frozen.
"Is that your wish?! A bridge?"
"Well... well... actually, no... actually, I wanted to be the luckiest man in the world..." At these words, the troll sobbed loudly.
Goose felt sad.
"Well..." she patted his calf (because she couldn't reach his shoulder). "Stop whining... such a big guy and he's sobbing." And to console him, she added, "It's a very nice bridge, lovely indeed!"
The troll told Goose about his entire unhappy life and how he ruined the nymph's bridge.
"Listen... maybe you were never unlucky! You snatched my magic feather, which, by the way, I was very attached to, but never mind. You must know that no one has ever managed to do that before you. You were truly lucky to meet me." Well... I was lucky to meet you too, because... um..." Goose looked a bit confused. "I have to admit, you saved my feathery skin today... If it weren't for you, I would have been stuck there for good. Thank you.
" "You're welcome," Orzech beamed. "My name is Orzech... and yours?
" "Gęgolina! You know what? Maybe you'd like some tea... you know... I have some good herbs... I'm sure you'll like them...
" "I'd love to, Gęgolina!"
And so, tea at the Crazy Goose's cottage was the beginning of a wonderful friendship. From then on, no misfortune befell Nut, but the troll never again crossed a bridge.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Conflict

A beautiful view unfolded before them, one they had long since grown unaccustomed to. To the right of the road they were traveli...