niedziela, 27 września 2026

Monks of Saint Adalbert



In the year of our Lord 1364, Władysław the Elbow-high's son, Casimir, was in Kraków to negotiate with the Luxembourgers and Louis the Hungarian, his brother-in-law. They were to discuss how to launch a crusade against the Turks. However, they reached no conclusions in this matter. But then, and more importantly for this story, King Casimir allied himself with the margraves of Brandenburg with grand intentions. We are talking here about the monks who followed St. Adalbert, who were murdered by the Prussians in 997. This order bore the name Adalbertians. They were called variously, though most commonly known as the Black Horde. The monks, as not everyone knows, had their headquarters in Western Pomerania and Mecklenburg, which was then under Brandenburgian rule. The populace greatly adored them, which greatly angered King Casimir and Louis II the Little. Both armies wanted to send their forces against them, to wipe them out one by one. And since the Adalberts of St. Peter's See also got under King Casimir's skin, King Casimir V received Urban V's blessing. And here your story begins.

I am Cyril of Krużników. A monk from St. Adalbert. A great threat has fallen upon our order from Casimir the Elbow-high's son. He has sent two hundred armored cavalry and two hundred light cavalry. From the west, Louis, Elector of Brandenburg, after slaughtering our brethren, is also coming against us. He is bringing with him cavalry, crossbowmen, archers, and trebuchets.
At that time, as a vassal of the Teutonic Master Godfrey, I was sitting in the main chamber with my lord, where all the chief brethren and their troops had also gathered. What defense could I arrange? A scout rushes in, greatly out of breath.
"Lord! Merciful Lord! Casimir's army is already at Gryfino! And they are coming towards us quickly."
"You may go," he merely bowed and hurried off. "
Kazimierz from the south, Ludwik from the west."
He approached the table, lowered his gaze to the map, thought for a moment, and said:
"You won't stop the Brandenburger in the field... And if you let him get to the fortress, he'll rain missiles on you. Czcibor! You and your men, and you'll take everyone who can fight, go to Wolin. And stay there until you see the Brandenburger. The trebuchets should be at the end, about ten kilometers behind the armed men. Because they're free. That's your mission: to crush them. Then return to us quickly. Just go by the coast, because if Ludwik catches you, let your master protect you. Go!"
He bowed and left.
"And what should I do with Lord Kazimierz? Huh?"
-Let me greet them, sir - I said - I will receive them in Gombrówko, but no one will go any further alive.
"No, no. Four hundred of them are coming at us, and you only have one hundred and twenty warriors. And I need him here too," he began to think again. "Gerwazy, you will take Gombrówek, and Witold, you will extend your line eastward, here in Zarzecze. And Bartłomiej will go to Borowice, Mr. Henryk promised me help, and he is a righteous man and keeps his word. Then he will help us too. Go." When they emerged, he looked at me and asked,
"What are people saying?"
"They are afraid, sir. Some say the Poles are coming at us by the thousands. Tom ordered the fools who spread this to be locked in the dungeons, so they won't start any more trouble.
" "You did well."
Godfryd sat down heavily, resting his head on his hand. I left him alone so he could rest, for he was already quite old.

Czcibor fulfilled his task, but captured by Ludwik, he likely died in agony. God rest his soul. Bartholomew fell in battle, and his lord Henry led the remnants of his unit to us and continued to defend the fortress alongside us. Vytautas and Gerwazy escaped with their lives, suffering heavy losses, but they also severely devastated Casimir's knights. And so the test came. The Brandenburger with his troops and Casimir with his remnants are standing at our gate. They want to take us by storm. They're erecting ladders against the walls.
"Down! Quickly!" I yell, running along the walls.
The shouts of the Piast's minions can be heard. Arrows whistled past our heads and theirs. I only glanced to the left, and they had broken in. Then I shouted, "
Strengthen the left flank, now!"
I also jumped at them. I slashed furiously with my sword, blood spraying everywhere. I had to wipe my eyes because I couldn't see a thing. We'd barely repelled them when they approached the gate with a wild boar. I had a surprise for him, though. I ordered one of the archers to fire into the ground beneath them. Oil had been spilled there earlier. They fled in panic. The siege lasted day and night.
After thirty-four days, they withdrew. But it was certain they would return soon. Then Godfrey, my lord, sent me with an embassy to the monks of the Blessed Virgin Mary for help. So I appeared before the Grand Master of the Order, who was then Winrich von Kniprode. We needed help there, as the Teutonic Knights had a grudge against Casimir from the papal trial when they had to cede Pomerania to him.
"Why should an envoy from Godfrey of Kobyłów come to me?"
"Sir, ask for help, before the Poles and Brandenburgers who invaded us."
"You repulsed them."
"It's true, many of our brothers died defending our fortress, but we fear a second invasion. Can we count on your help?
" "So be it."

The Master himself came to the rescue. When we arrived, the siege was already underway. I couldn't believe my eyes. They had barely withdrawn from our walls a hundred days ago, and now they're attacking again in full force. We entered the castle from the sea.
"This way, sir, follow me to the chambers."
"You're not going anywhere." I looked at him. His eyes were filled with evil. "You'll die here, dog!"
The Teutonic Knights then drew their swords and began slaughtering. My brothers fell dead, as if struck by a plague. We had to defend ourselves, but they outnumbered us. With a handful of survivors, we ran to my lord as quickly as possible. The fighting had already begun in earnest. Godfrey, gravely wounded, was dying against the wall. We attacked them from behind, treacherously, just as they attacked us. He was hit by one Tom, who, in his great rage, beheaded me. The other immediately struck me in the side, Tom uncoiled and severed his paw. Another one speared his guts when my sword pierced him. The last of them fell. Two more fell from me in the fighting. I quickly reached my lord.
"Lord! We have been betrayed. We must flee!"
"You run... I'm already a corpse..."
"I won't leave you in your misery."
"Run, I say! Seek refuge with the Norwegians.
" "Sir..." "
I release you... There... The third stone from the bottom..." he died.

We escaped the besieged fortress through a secret passage. We made our way to the port as quickly as possible. As my lord ordered, we went to the Norwegians. We were accepted there. But we will never forget the betrayal..."

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Чешуя

С начала марта в наше отделение на северо-западе Москвы начали поступать сообщения о пропаже людей. Первые два случая не вызывали какого-то ...