niedziela, 27 września 2026

The Train to Happiness.



"Passengers of the Train to Happiness are requested to proceed to Platform One," a voice repeated with increasing clarity. I was surprised to find myself in the middle of the train station lobby. It was quite small, but modern and pleasant. The faces of the few people there wore the same perplexity and disorientation that must have been on my own. I could still hear the voice. I glanced at the departure board. The names of three trains—to Happiness, Fame, and Fortune—were permanently etched on it. I had no idea what to do. Then, I noticed a young, handsome man at the information window. I approached him.

"Good morning. How can I help you, ma'am?" he asked.
"Um... I have a small problem. I think I had to make a reservation, but... I don't remember anything about it." "I replied with great embarrassment, as it was unusual for me to be called 'honorable,' and my lapses in memory did not at all confirm that I deserved such a title.
"You don't need to make any reservations, dear lady."
He was very kind, asked for my name, and quickly ran his eyes over the monitor screen.
"Just as I thought. You're on the passenger list of the Train to Happiness.
" "I don't understand. Why?
" "It's very simple, dear lady. You're one of the chosen ones. Very, very unhappy and depressed by life. This is your only chance.
" "Really? In that case... the ticket must be very expensive...
" "Nothing like that. You don't pay for gifts. Here it is.
" "Thank you! But... it's only one-way!"
"Of course. There's no return from this journey, dear lady.
" "I don't have any luggage!
" "You won't need it.
" "If you say so. Do I have to change trains?
" "It's a direct train. "
"And how am I supposed to know where to get off?
" "Don't worry about anything. You'll feel the end of your journey yourself."
"Amazing... one more thing! Could I ride in a non-smoking compartment? You know... the smoke...
" "As you wish, madam," he smiled gently. "But please hurry! The train leaves in three minutes. Platform one. I wish you a pleasant journey. Besides, I don't have to wish you a pleasant journey; it will be pleasant anyway. "
I broke into a run.
"Just don't miss this chance!" he shouted after me.

I kept bumping into surprised people. Apparently, they hadn't found such a nice person who could explain everything to them. I didn't have time for that, because I was running for my own happiness. When I reached the platform, the train was just arriving. It looked more like a Teleexpress than a TGV, but there was something unusual about it. It seemed to radiate a bright light. It stopped silently. The conductor smiled and invited me in. He held out his hand to open the door.
I heard an unpleasant, prolonged creaking sound. I opened my eyes and saw my sister searching for something in the closet.
"Sleep, sleep... I just wanted to borrow something," she explained.
"What did you do!" I shouted and stood up, waving my fists.
"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to wake you!
" "I missed the train because of you.
" "What train? Are you going somewhere?
" "It was supposed to take me to happiness!
" "Oh!... Don't be naive. Happiness is a long way off. The train wouldn't get there. Come on... go to sleep, maybe you'll dream of a plane.
" "Don't mock me! I'm getting all mixed up!"
She sat up in bed and looked into my eyes.
"I know... fate won't spare you. But happiness doesn't just come. You have to try.
" "Nonsense! It does! If suffering comes, and when you least expect it, then happiness must too!"
I collapsed exhausted onto the pillow. After a moment, the train emerged from the dark, colorful blurs again. I was lost in a dream.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Чешуя

С начала марта в наше отделение на северо-западе Москвы начали поступать сообщения о пропаже людей. Первые два случая не вызывали какого-то ...