"Welcome, sleepyhead!" Mandraja shouted as soon as Kryspin opened his eyes. "You've been asleep for two whole days! We couldn't wake you up!
" "What? I've been asleep for two whole days? No, that's never happened to me before..." the boy smiled. "Is it closer to evening or morning now?
" "The day is drawing to a close. It's long after noon," Klaus said, entering the room. "There's something I'd like to talk to you about.
" "Klaus! Leave the boy alone! He needs to rest!" the woman shouted.
The man looked at Kryspin strangely. The boy swallowed hard.
"Boy," Mandraja began, "go to the field and get yourself sorted out." There's a basin of water against the wall.
He stepped out, and amidst the splashes of water washing his face and torso, he heard snatches of a lively conversation.
"He's strange..." Another splash of water drowned out the rest of the sentence, and the boy decided not to listen any further. He took a few steps away to stretch his legs. He saw Wandria. He smiled at her and waved. She pretended not to notice him and turned away. This worried him a little, but he didn't have time to dwell on it any longer, as he heard a voice shouting his name. He turned in that direction and saw Mandraja. She was calling to him and gesturing for him to come inside. He went there.
When he entered the room, he saw Klaus sitting at the table, drinking a glass of water. He sat down on the other side, opposite the man. The man finished his drink and looked at the boy with interest. Finally, he began:
"We found you half-dead. We took care of you, we took you in, we SAVED you. After the last accident, my wife defended you, saying you had great protectors. But know that I am a rational person; I DO NOT BELIEVE in such deities. I want to warn you that if you don't tell me who you really are, I will have no qualms about throwing you out the door." Is this clear to you?
Kryspin sat speechless with surprise. He opened and closed his mouth, unsure what to say. Finally, he managed to choke out a stutter.
"I-I'll go right away, because I don't know how to explain this to you. I don't understand much of what's happening to me. I'd like to know the answer myself." He was getting up to leave, but the man stopped him with a wave of his hand.
"Wait..." he said. "You see, one thing worried me the most. Or maybe it wasn't worried, but it made me wonder. The day you had the accident, or rather that night, I couldn't sleep. I heard you saying something to someone... Or to yourself, because I didn't hear anyone answering you... I realized Wandria was with you... I don't know what you did to her, I don't know why, because she doesn't speak, but know this. I won't let you hurt her...
" "You probably won't believe me...
" "How did you figure that out, young man?" Klaus interrupted.
"B-but I could hear her thoughts... I could TALK to her.
" "Don't make stupid excuses!" the man shouted, slamming his hands on the table. "I won't believe you anyway! No! What right have you to invade our lives and turn them upside down? Kestor walks around absentmindedly, disappears by the river, Wandria rebels, whines all day about who knows what...
" "What does this have to do with me?" the boy asked, trying to remain calm.
"Because it started as soon as you regained consciousness..." the innkeeper gritted through his teeth.
"Am I to understand that I have no business here... Should I leave, right?
" "Yes. And don't come back.
" "Fine. Then I'll never set foot on your land again." Kryspin rose from the table and walked slowly out the door into the field.
Mandraja glared at her husband and followed the boy. She wanted to say something, but he spoke first:
"Kestor was right." People flee from what is unknown to them. It will be better this way.
The woman smiled shyly, tears glistening in her eyes.
"Don't cry..." he said in a soothing tone. "There's no one left...
" "But I..." the woman cleared her throat and continued, "I wanted to give you something for the journey..." She handed him a small bundle. "And don't think ill of my husband... He's just very old-fashioned..." She stood on tiptoe and kissed the boy on the cheek in a motherly way. "May the gods be with you..." she whispered and returned to the cottage.
Kryspin nodded and sighed deeply. He looked at the slowly setting sun and headed to the pasture to fetch Phoenix. When he reached the top of the hill, he turned and looked around. He saw the cottage. A woman stood in the doorway. A boy, most likely Kestor, was running towards her from the forest, waving his arms and shouting loudly. Kryspin heard his voice, but couldn't make out the words.
A joyful neigh sounded next to the boy. It was Phoenix. Someone must have been riding him, because the mount was saddled. The boy nimbly climbed onto his back and ran down the hill...
Wandria blocked his path. She had the saddest eyes the boy had ever seen...
"Where are you going?" she asked as Kryspin stood beside her.
"I'm not welcome here," the boy replied.
"My father? He threw you out?"
"Hmm... I sadly admit, yes. He was furious about that night... You know, back when...
" "Back when we 'talked' for the first time, right?" "
Exactly...
" "But what now? It would be foolish to wander around alone. There are all sorts of shady characters around here." "
Maybe so, but you know, I have no choice... Ugh, life is so damn unfair."
"And you're telling me this? Now that I've found someone who understands me..." she clenched her fists and sighed heavily. "My father is taking him away from me." "
I would have left eventually anyway.
" "But not so fast!"
Kryspin was about to reply when he heard shouts. He turned and saw Kestora running headlong down the slope towards them. He was waving his arms and looked quite upset. When he reached them, he blurted out,
"This is too much!" he yelled. "How could he! No, this is beyond belief!
" "Calm down..." Kryspin began.
"How can I calm down? Father has shown an extraordinary lack of hospitality. Throwing a guest out on the street...
" "If I may, I'd like to point out that it's his household and he can take in and throw out whoever he wants as often as he wants.
" "But you haven't done anything!"
"Tell him..." Joyful lights danced in the boy's eyes. "And anyway, the sooner I leave, the sooner I'll reach Cavardet..." The lights faded, and the smile that had been on his face vanished completely. "Unless there's something I don't know. There is, right?" He looked at his siblings.
"As if..." "
As if? Gods, AS IF??? Wandria, you better tell me what's going on...
" "Because there's..." "
What is it?
" "Ten days' journey..."
Crispin paled and asked:
"How many days' journey? TEN?
" "I didn't know how to tell you this..." "
Well, I'm lying here... This must be some mistake... Some very bad joke...
" "If I may ask..." Kestor suddenly interjected. "Are you talking to yourself?
" "What? No... I'm talking... to Wandria... How should I put this? Telepathically..." and explained the whole matter to him.
"Is-is it true? Can you? Really?" But—but how?—Kestor asked, confused.
—Isn't it hard to believe? Your father didn't understand... And you were right... There, by the river...
"But I won't let you go alone on such a long journey!" Wandria suddenly thought. "
I guess you'll have to..." her boy replied.
"What will she have to do?
" "Let me go to Cavardet alone.
" "And she's right not to let you go! Remember what I proposed to you by the river? It's still valid and irrefutable. You have no choice.
" "Sigh... you're stubborn...
" "And I won't give up."
Wandria laughed happily and thought:
"That's Kestor! Stubborn as a mule! You won't convince him! You have no choice!"
"What about... your parents? You can't leave me like that?
" "The truth is, I'm a burden. They'll gladly get rid of me...
" "I don't believe you. You're their child. Why would they want to get rid of you?"
"Because I'm causing nothing but trouble. I have no future here! I'll end up a bitter old man sitting in front of the fireplace, complaining about everything and everyone. I don't want that.
" "It won't be so bad... You'll start a family, you'll have children... grandchildren...
" "No..." Kestor said sadly. "Which father would want to marry his daughter off to me? Which, whose daughter would want to live with me? Bear children for me... Look after the house...
" "Be careful, I'll cry, little brother..."
"Hey, Wandria, don't be rude!" Crispin shouted.
"I know him. He's feeling sorry for himself. How I hate that. He should get a grip and stop spouting nonsense. He's slowly starting to get on my nerves." "
And you're not worried about your fate?"
"It is, but I can pull myself together!
" "But he can't!
" "He can, he just wants to convince you of his point. He wants to win you over to his side!"
"How do you know that?"
"I've known him for a good 16 years. I know when he's fooling someone and when he's telling the truth."
"What are you talking about?" asked Kestor, curious.
"About you," Crispin said curtly, summarizing his conversation with Wandria. "So what do you think?
" "I'm ashamed to admit she was right about everything. Damn, my little sister knows me better than I thought...
" "Ha! I told you so?" "
You told me, you told me, but what now?
" "I'll still insist on going to Cavardet with you.
" "Ugh! Well, whatever. Tomorrow morning on the road. Before it gets light, you hear? You'll be a few minutes late – I'm leaving without batting an eye, just to be clear.
" "Okay, okay!" the boy laughed. "Don't worry, I'll definitely be there.
" "And that's what I'm most worried about," Crispin muttered to himself. He looked at his future traveling companion and completely doubted him. His eyes were shining, his gaze unseeing, he dreamed of the conquests he would make in the future… It didn't bode well… But once he'd agreed, he couldn't reverse his decision. He sighed and nimbly swung himself into Phoenix's saddle. "Tomorrow at sunrise…
" "If you think you'll discourage him this early, you're wrong. Nothing will stop him. Once he sets his mind to something… Kestor. He won't let go of you. In fact, I don't blame him…"
Sitting on his horse, the boy leaned over the girl and stroked her cheek. Tears glistened in her huge eyes again.
"Hey, don't cry, little one…" he whispered.
"Why do I get the feeling you're leaving my life forever? That you'll never come back?" "
Because I won't come back… I'm sorry…
" "It was clearly meant to be…" "
Yes… Goodbye…"
He turned his horse and rode towards the forest. But before he disappeared among the trees he heard:
"Take care of my brother... I will never forget you...."

Brak komentarzy:
Prześlij komentarz