poniedziałek, 22 września 2025

Destiny


She loved that moment of excitement before the train pulled into the station. It reminded her of her childhood, when she had to push through the crowds of pressing travelers and take her seats in the compartment. A chill ran down her spine as the express train pulled onto the platform. Weronika began staring at the compartment windows, searching for a free seat. She boarded second class and walked briskly down the corridor. She wanted to choose a good seat, free from grumbling old women and sleazy men. Finally, she peeked into one compartment. She saw three young men, about her age. She opened the door and, with a dazzling smile, asked if there was a free seat. A tall, brunette man rushed to help her.
"Of course, please," he said.
She took off her jacket and sat down opposite the attractive assistant. She immediately took out a book and a water – essentials for traveling. She wasn't thrilled about sitting by the door, but it was better than squeezing in between obese old men. She glanced at the boys by the window. After a brief exchange of glances, they turned their attention to each other. It was clear they weren't interested in the girl's company and intended to spend the trip napping. "Probably some sleep-deprived students," she thought. This worried her a bit, because she loved making new friends while traveling. It was so exciting when strangers talked about often very personal matters. She sat back and looked at the brunette sitting across from her. He was reading some unspecified book and seemed unusually absorbed. "Well, this will clearly be more of a literary than a social journey," she sighed and opened "Kissing the Beehive." She was just beginning to be drawn into the surreal world of novels when she heard a voice:
"I see you're reading Caroll. He's my favorite author.
" "Really? Mine too," she replied to the brunette sitting across from her.
"What have you read?"
- And I have "At the Angels' Prey." Have you read it?
- Oh, I don't think so. I'll probably give it a try as soon as I get my hands on it.
- It's worth it. I recommend it.
- And why do you like Carroll?
- For his uncanniness, for blending dream with reality, weaving in fairy tales, and original endings.
- Then we have similar feelings. I melt into his prose like an ocean and swim between dawns, becoming one of the characters. It's amazing that I can feel at home in a world of fantasy. And you know what's best, when I close a book, I wonder if my imaginary friend from the past, or a character from my dream, will emerge from behind the wardrobe.
- Do you believe in dreams?
- Sure. It's so incredible, but sometimes they come true. Maybe not literally, but certain fragments, certain feelings...
- Interesting.
The conversation flowed smoothly. They began sharing their most incredible dreams, stories from real life, fragments of human fate. Weronika felt she had never spoken so freely to anyone. He could literally read her mind. Their understanding took place somewhere subconsciously, and the words they expressed were merely a mutual reflection of the similarity of their souls.
"We've been talking for some time now, and I haven't even introduced myself. Forgive me. I'm Adam.
" "Nice to meet you. Weronika." She shook his hand and looked into his eyes. They were large, steel blue, and you could drown in them.
"Are you going to Warsaw?
" "Yes. And you?
" "Too. I'm studying journalism there.
" "Interesting. Maybe that's where these unusual interests come from.
" "Why unusual? They seem ordinary to me. And what brings you to the capital?
" "I'm going on a training course. A business meeting for bankers.
" "Oh! Businesswoman. Interesting.
" "Don't exaggerate. I'm just starting out. I'm just a pawn in the game."
The ringing of her phone interrupted her conversation. She reached into her purse. She saw it was Sylwia, her colleague from work.
"Yes, I'm here, I'm going to Konin. Sure. I'll meet you there. Bye!" She
put the phone down and smiled at Adam again. They resumed their conversation. Now it was time to complain a bit about the economic situation in the country and the poor prospects for development. They only paused briefly when the conductor checked tickets. Then, too, the passengers by the window woke up for a moment, handed over their tickets as if in lethargy, and went back to sleep. They caught each other's attention for just a moment, and then they disappeared from the world of two people so comfortable together. Weronika felt enchanted. She couldn't stop thinking about fate. She had never believed in such things. Suddenly, Adam stood up and, with a smile and the words, "I'll be right back," left the compartment.
She had a moment to reflect on the situation. Suddenly, she remembered the prophecy from about five years ago. "It'll involve some kind of trip. A man, your age, well-positioned, ambitious." It was impossible not to connect the dots. They were having such a good conversation. He couldn't afford to end this relationship. A moment later, Adam returned and, with an equally radiant smile, began telling me about some talkative woman who wouldn't let him through the corridor, asking hundreds of questions about the views of today's youth on changing ethical values.
"I didn't feel like talking to her and somehow managed to get out. I hope she doesn't drag herself to our compartment.
" "Me neither. Because I don't feel like talking to a moralizing woman who's suffering from a lack of company.
" "Right. I'm more comfortable talking to you."
Weronika felt a blush creep across her face. She was completely captivated by Adam's blue eyes. They shared similar interests, worldviews, and worldviews. She couldn't believe it was actually happening. She'd met the perfect man on a train. Something like that only happens in movies. Suddenly, the boy asked,
"It's incredible how much I enjoy talking to you. Could I have your number?
" "Sure. Write it down." She began to rattle off digits, then entered the caller's number into her phone.
Meanwhile, one of the sleeping men by the window woke up and took a closer look at the situation. He nudged his friend and whispered something in his ear. He glanced at the couple by the door and, shrugging, nodded slightly. Meanwhile, the two people returned to their conversation. Minutes passed, and they were lost in each other's company. Suddenly, Weronika stood up and, saying, "I'll be right back," left the compartment. Silence fell, broken only by the clatter of wheels. The train slowly entered the station. The two sleepers opened their eyes only briefly before sinking back into their own fantasies.
Weronika was in the restroom when the train stopped. She knew it was illegal, but she decided to wait until the train had moved on. It would allow her to catch her breath and analyze the situation. She tried to think things through, but she couldn't. "I wonder what station this is?" she thought, and felt the slow movement of the carriages. She went out into the corridor and, fixing her hair as she went, returned to her compartment. She sat down. She noticed the seat opposite was empty. There was no jacket or backpack. "Did he get off? Without saying goodbye," she felt sad. "The important thing is that I have my number." She instinctively reached for her purse. Her hand found nothing. She quickly stood up and looked around. There was no bag, purse, or jacket.
"Excuse me, gentlemen, didn't you see who took this?"
Startled out of their sleep, they weren't quite sure what was going on.
"Someone robbed me. My things are gone!" she said frantically.
"Robbed?" one of the men asked in surprise
. "Probably that charming boy. He really tricked you," said the other, looking around to make sure their belongings were in their places. Nothing was missing.
Weronika ran out into the corridor to look for the conductor. But she couldn't find anyone.
The train slowly moved along its designated route. A lonely girl sat in the corner of the compartment, tears of anger, sadness, and a sense of her own naivety streaming down her rosy cheeks.

 

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Angels fly at night

He rode slowly into the city. His two faithful companions followed him everywhere. They looked down on the people watching them with the con...