czwartek, 6 sierpnia 2026

Christmas Eve magic



A winter evening was slowly descending over the city. Large snowflakes danced playfully in the air, tossed in all directions by light gusts of indecisive wind. The pre-Christmas rush was taking its toll on everyone. Shops beckoned with festive displays, the streets were bathed in the glow of colorful lights. Monika walked slowly through the chaos. She paid no attention to the beautiful displays; the colorful lights seemed nonexistent. After the last day of work before Christmas, she was returning to her empty apartment, where a small Christmas tree stood as a matter of course, and the cold oven eagerly awaited a poppy seed cake. The festive atmosphere was depressing. Far from family and friends, she felt lonely in this big city. Big and alien, where the only person she felt close to was Mateusz. He was there because they had broken up a month ago. For good.
A soft beeping sounded from her purse, rousing Monika from her reverie.
"Hello?"
"Hi, this is Marta. I'm at the station right now." What would you say if I dropped by your place?
"I'd say no problem." But there wasn't the slightest hint of joy in Monika's voice.
"Oh, I hear you're having a problem.
" "No, more like the blues.
" "We'll figure something out. Let's meet at your place.
" "Okay," she replied, with rather moderate enthusiasm.
"See you then.
" "For now." She hung up and put the phone back in her purse.

***

Monika put on some tea and turned on the radio. "I'll be home at Christmas," she heard the first words of the song. Tears welled in her eyes.
"Sure, you'll be home for Christmas..." she said to herself and looked at the photo of Mateusz, which was still on the desk.
The doorbell reminded her of reality. She wiped the tears with the back of her hand and went to answer the door.
"Oh, I see you're really feeling blue," Marta greeted her, standing in the hallway.
"It's probably the weather.
" "I think it's your heart."
They entered the kitchen, where water was just starting to boil.
"Would you like some tea?" Monika asked.
"Yes, I'd love to," Marta replied, placing the bag on the table. "Remember our little remedy for the blues?"
"Yes. Red wine and spaghetti.
" "So what about red wine and spaghetti?"
Monika looked at Marta, who was just setting a bottle of semi-dry red wine on the table.
"Why not?" she replied with a slight smile.
"I think this blues is because of Mateusz," Marta stated, placing a long package of pasta on the table.
"Why do you think that?
" "You love him. It's obvious. And he… he doesn't know what he's lost.
" "Why do you always know what I think and feel?"
"I know you too well, and I know that in this situation, you'll spend Christmas in front of the TV. That's not possible. What would you say to a shared holiday?
" "Did you come to see me?"
"Who was I supposed to come to see? I don't know anyone here except you..." She paused, and mentally added, "And Mateusz."
"But I haven't prepared anything!"
"So tomorrow we'll go shopping and spend the day in the kitchen. Now let's get started on that spaghetti." The water was already boiling.

***

On Saturday morning, the girls went on a "big shopping spree." This time, Monika was delighted with the window displays and the Christmas decorations. After a few hours spent in the shops, they returned to the apartment, laden with purchases. The house smelled of mushroom soup and poppy seed cake. Monika, making kutia, sang Christmas carols, and Marta, setting the table, hid a small gift under the Christmas tree. Sunday's Christmas Eve promised to be delicious.

***

"Let's sit down," Marta said.
"And who's the third place setting for?"
"It's for tradition. I always do."
The set table looked beautiful. The appearance and aroma of the dishes tantalized all the senses.
"We're only missing the first star," Marta said, looking out the window at the clear sky.
Suddenly, the doorbell rang. Monika got up to answer the door. She saw Mateusz behind the door. In his hand was a huge bouquet of Monika's favorite flowers—tea roses.
"Monika," he began, his voice trembling slightly, "will you forgive me? I really don't know what got into me." Monika looked at him suspiciously. "I can't live without you. Please forgive me, forgive and forget and..." he paused for a moment to gather his courage, "and give me a second chance, come back to me."
Monika looked at Mateusz in disbelief. During those two days spent with Marta, she had momentarily forgotten about him and the pain he had caused her. And now he was reappearing in her life, without warning...
"The first star in the sky. Come to the table!" they heard Marta's voice coming from the room.
"Come in," said Monika. "I invite you to Christmas Eve dinner. There's a free seat waiting."

***

After dinner, Mateusz got up from the table and went to the hall. A moment later, he returned and knelt before Monika.
"I can't live without you. You're my angel, you're the person I would give my life for. Please, marry me, be my wife." Monika looked at him with unconcealed surprise. "Do you agree?" he asked uncertainly after a moment of silence.
"I can't live without you either. Yes, I agree. I agree to be your wife."

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz

Sweet Temptation (Part 3)

How could he? How could he treat me like that...? I'd never given him reason to be jealous, I'd never cheated on him, and now, at th...