"Eat, Mom!" I made extra on purpose so there was enough for everyone. Would you like some tea?
Mom nodded and handed me a cup. She looked like she wanted to say something but couldn't, or couldn't. She avoided my gaze, as well as conversation. I didn't even try to start talking because I felt the words were inappropriate. Right now, she needed peace. She looked like she was trying to understand and sort things out. I wondered what would happen when Dad came downstairs. They were perfect for each other! My thoughts wandered around the table. I even lost my appetite. I got up from the table, but my mother grabbed my hand. I looked at her, and she smiled faintly.
"Irma, please. Don't go anywhere. Your father will be here soon. Wait a few more minutes.
" "Okay, Mom, I'll wait."
I sat down in the chair and looked back at my mother. She was still eating her salad and sipping her tea. Her eyes were hidden by her auburn hair, which fell to her shoulders. After a moment, I heard my father's footsteps. My mother and I looked in his direction. He was wearing the bathrobe we had given him on his 45th birthday. When he saw us sitting at the table, looking at him, he said,
"Hello! It's a beautiful day, isn't it? It's so nice of you to make us breakfast, Irma. Honey, I have a surprise for you. You'll get it before we move in."
"Honestly, I was hoping the surprise would be, 'We were joking about the move.' Thank you anyway. Will you sit with us?"
"Of course, my dear. Thank you for breakfast. Can you make me some coffee?
" "Yes, I'm coming! With milk and sugar?
" "Just like always," he smiled at me.
I went to the kitchen to make some coffee. While the water was boiling, I heard my parents talking at the table. The conversation seemed normal, as if they still loved each other. But that's just a dream... I went into the dining room, and my dad said,
"I assume you're not packed yet, but we'll go for the surprise in half an hour, okay?"
"Yes. Is Mom coming with us?
" "I'm not going. I have to finish packing my things, and I can help you a little.
" "I'll go change and be ready in a moment, okay?
" "I'm waiting."
I quickly went to my room, since I didn't have any suitable clothes, and chose some clothes from the closet. I didn't have much choice, because everything was black, and most of my jeans were torn. Oh well... that's my style. The sun was shining outside, despite yesterday's rain. I was surprised I wasn't coughing or having a runny nose... Apparently, Ren's tea had worked. He knows a thing or two about life. By the way, I'd like to see him again. Ideally, today. I have to meet Eri too! We have a lot to talk about! And besides, it's strange she's not replying to my texts. Normally, she'd reply immediately after sending them! Is something wrong? I'd go see her, but I have to go with my father. This might be our last conversation this month. I wonder what surprise she has for me and if my mother knows about it. I'll find out in a moment. When I went downstairs, my father was already waiting, dressed in his suit as usual. He gestured to the table where the car keys lay and smiled. I understood that I should go to the car. But I knew my father wouldn't let me drive. He always says it's too dangerous. After leaving the house, I got in the car, in the driver's seat, of course, and put on a CD because there were no interesting songs on the radio. When it comes to music, I'm very picky. After a while, I started thinking about the surprise my father was supposed to give me. There was nothing in the car that would help me in any way. So I had to wait patiently for my father. And finally, he did. He got in the car and sat in the passenger seat.
"Are you sure you want to drive? You don't even know where we're going...
" "If you give me the address, I'll be happy to drive.
" "Okay. Go to Piastowska Street.
" "It's almost done."
I pulled out of the house and headed toward the market square. I was surprised that my father hadn't said anything. He always had a lot to say. Now he fell silent. As if someone had forbidden him from speaking. Maybe he was acting this way for the good of the cause? Maybe it was just an appearance?
"Honey! I want this gift you're getting to remind you of me. Now, I won't always be there for you. We won't live together, but I still hope our relationship won't break off. I don't know how things will turn out now. I think you're old enough to understand these things, but it will take time. I also needed time to sort everything out. Honestly, to this day, I'm still not entirely sure about these decisions. But it's for the best. You don't know what I'm talking about now, but you will soon.
" "Daddy. I love you, you know?
" "Yes. I know, daughter." He placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled gently. "I love you too!"
In that moment, I felt like I understood everything. His words reached the deepest part of my soul. Even though I didn't know what he meant, I felt like my parents were doing the right thing. I didn't want them to separate, but I knew they had decided to do it. It might sound strange, but it seemed to me that their love hadn't faded. Apparently, this separation will cause them a lot of pain. Maybe it won't last long?
"This is it, my dear! Stop in that parking lot over there."
I did as he said. We were walking to some strange building. It was a large house, quite old. The walls were covered with plaster, and a sign outside said "Shelter." I decided it couldn't be possible! Was Dad trying to fulfill my biggest dream? I couldn't believe it!
"Let's go inside. I think there's someone there you need most right now..."
He pointed to the door and opened it. After a moment, we went in, and he started talking to someone. I felt uneasy, yet pleasant at the same time. A strange feeling. After a while, they both went down the hall and took me with them. We passed several cages with dogs that barked loudly at the sight of people. They didn't look happy. I would have loved to let them all out, but danger, hunger, and death awaited them on the street. I continued walking, where the cats were. Most of them were sleeping, others were lying around playing. It's nice to see how animals can live in a cage. Then it doesn't tire them so much. I could never live in confinement. I would die of claustrophobia. After a moment, the manager turned and lifted a cardboard box. He opened it, and inside were four little dogs. They were puppies, Labradors. All adorable, with buttery eyes and innocent expressions.
"We found them by the river, in this box. We already have buyers for some of these dogs. They are healthy and suitable for a family. Please choose.
" "Okay. Could you leave me alone with them for a moment?"
"Okay, we're on our way.
" "Thank you."
When I was alone, I looked at the puppies. They were truly adorable. But something else caught my eye... In the corner of the dark room, a tiny dog sat. I decided to approach him. He was curled up and quiet. I didn't know if I could touch him, but I couldn't resist. I gently turned him over, and he opened his eyes. He looked at me with chocolate brown eyes, and I knew it was fate. I picked him up gently and placed him in my arms. I looked into his eyes, and he began to whimper softly. He looked like a little Saint Bernard. I walked toward the father and the manager.
"I think fate found me," I smiled, pointing at the dog
. "I don't think that's a good choice. This dog barely survived; he's tiny, and he needs intensive care for at least a month. You know, he's a tiny baby.
" "I'll take him. I won't let anything happen to him. You'll sell the healthy puppies quickly; I've already made up my mind."
"If that's the case, you can go to the car now, this time as a passenger, with your little one," Dad smiled.
"Thank you! Goodbye!
" "Goodbye!" I replied and left the building.
I sat in the car and placed the dog on my lap.
"Well, my little one, now you have a new family. Now I just need to find out your gender. Oh, how wonderful. I have a daughter. And your name will be... Clava! You probably don't know why, do you? Me neither. But I'll tell you one thing. Clava means club in Latin. I believe that one day we'll understand it." I smiled at the dog. "I hope we can come to an understanding together. Now we'll go to the store to get a bottle for you and a few little things. You'll see, it'll be great, honey. Look," I pointed to the window, "Grandpa's coming."
"So, my children, are we going to the store?" Dad said to Clava and me.
"Let's go! "
After a moment, we set off. I was so happy I didn't know what to say.
"How's it going, young mother?
" "Very good." Dad, I don't know how to thank you! You've made my dream come true! Why did you do this? You and Mom never wanted a dog...
"You don't have to thank me. It's a gift from me, and I'm glad you accepted. Mom knows about the dog and she doesn't mind. We had a long talk, and you don't have to worry. And I did it for a simple reason: you're an adult now, it's high time you started being responsible for more than just yourself. I believe you're ready for this. You've been harping on about dogs for years, and finally, all of it has been heard. Thank God for that. He'll definitely appreciate it," he smiled and gently petted Clava.
"I'm grateful to everyone. Thank you so much again, Dad.
" "Enough of this sentimental stuff! We're leaving! Leave the dog here; I see he's fallen asleep. We'll be back in five minutes, so he'll be fine."
"I'll take him with me, though. I'm too worried about him. They won't throw us out, will they?" I smiled, still holding Clava.
We entered the store, and no one made any trouble. People looked at me and smiled at the dog. Some commented and said he was wonderful, sweet, and the most beautiful. Of course, I couldn't deny it. After all, they called my little orphan that. I told my dad what I needed to buy, and he kept saying he already knew it all because he'd talked to the guy from the shelter. I was so happy I kept gritting my teeth like an idiot. My dad paid for the groceries, and we quickly went back to the car. We didn't talk for a few minutes because I was going through all the groceries, making sure Dad didn't forget anything.
"What are you going to name him?" he said, interrupting me while I was sorting through the bags.
"What 'him'?" I replied, pretending I didn't know what he was talking about.
"I mean, about the dog...
" "It's not a dog!" It's a dog," I smiled at my dad, "named Clava.
" "Oh, interesting name. Where did you get it?
" "It's Latin and means club.
" "You know, honestly, I don't see any connection between this little one and a club..." he replied, giving me a look like "you're crazy." "
You'll see the resemblance in the future! And now, it has spots the color of a club." I stuck out my tongue and smiled after a moment .
"I think it's brown, not... club-shaped? You have quite the imagination, child...
" "Don't talk, just watch the road!"
With those words, the conversation stopped, and my father and I smiled. I looked out the window and saw people rushing to shops, work, meetings. It's hard to guess. Suddenly, my father stopped.
"My daughter, wait 10 minutes. I have something to do at the bank. Okay?
" "Okay, I'll wait."
My father got out of the car, and all I could do was stare at the unfamiliar faces. After a moment, I began to regret turning my head and looking out the window. I saw Ren and was immediately happy, but a second later, the situation was reversed. He was smiling at some girl walking with him. She was a slender blonde. They walked, smiling sincerely at each other. I felt like I'd lost someone I'd never had. I'd never had anything in common with Ren, and over the past few days, I'd felt something more for him. Honestly, I'd hoped we'd get to know each other better. I know a little about him; he'd told me so many things... I probably misread everything. Now he's going with another girl. If only I could escape now. To wherever Ren had taken me. But I don't think that's possible. I have Clava in my arms and I can't leave her. I didn't want to look at Ren anymore, so I leaned my head back against the seat and closed my eyes. I felt the sun's rays illuminating my face, streaming into the car through the open window.
"Irma?" asked a voice I knew very well.
"Ren?" I opened my eyes and looked into his. "What are you doing here?"
"I was just walking around town and saw you, so I came over. How are you feeling?
" "Fine," I smiled at him. "And you?
" "No bad things are happening to me, for now. What do you have there?" He pointed to my lap.
"This is Clava.
" "I think it's a puppy. But whatever." He stuck out his tongue and smiled. "How long have you had it?
" "Today. Dad bought it for me.
" "Why are you so quiet today? Is something wrong?" Ren said, piercing me with his gaze.
"No, I just..."
As I started to speak, someone suddenly ran up behind Ren and hugged him. His reaction didn't help me at all. I hoped he'd be offended, or wouldn't allow himself to be groped like that in public. But he smiled and put his arm around her shoulder, allowing me to see the poisoner's face. It was the same blonde he'd been walking with earlier. Now I was sure there was something between them.
"Irma, this is Victoria! Vici is Irma! Meet me," I was forced to shake her hand in greeting
. "Nice to meet you. Ren mentioned you a bit.
" "Unfortunately, he didn't tell me anything about you... Too bad..." I replied.
"Don't worry about it. You'll hear a lot more about me from him. Unfortunately, we have to go now, right, Ren?
Isn't she being impertinent?" She interrupted our conversation, and now she's trying to distract him. She's even trying to set me up to hear about her. Let him finally go!
" "Unfortunately, yes. Irma?
" "Yes?
" "I...
" "It's goodbye, Ren. Bye-bye!" the blonde said, pulling Ren by the hand.
"Bye," he shouted in a hurry and obediently followed Victoria.
Am I dreaming? Ren obedient? I thought he'd somehow get out of this. I wonder what he wanted to tell me. Sure, we won't see each other again, or that everything that happened was an illusion. Everything was over. Everything was sold. I'd oversold him and me, meaning us.
"I'm here! We're going home!" Dad said, getting into the car.
I didn't say a word the entire ride because I wasn't in the mood. I kept thinking about Ren. I felt like I was in a lost cause. I wanted to go to Eri's, but I couldn't. I had to pack and keep an eye on Clava. Everything was starting to get complicated.
"Honey, you're getting off here. Give me Clava. I have an appointment with the vet.
" "But why can't I be there?
" "You have to pack. You don't have much time. You'll have to leave soon...
" "But Dad! I can come back tomorrow for the rest of my stuff if I don't have time to pack. I'll manage..."
"But that's not the point," Dad raised his voice, "you have to move out today! Tomorrow there might be no one waiting for you! Do you understand?
" "I'll try to understand. I'm going now. Take care of Clava."
I sat her in the seat and buckled her in. I closed the door and nervously headed home. I saw my father driving away with the dog and opened the door to the house. I put on my slippers and started heading towards my room. My mom was there, packing almost all my things.
"Thanks, Mom! I can pack the rest. It'll take about 30 minutes.
" "I hope it's a little faster, because the car will be waiting for us in half an hour.
" "What about the furniture? The food?
" "The furniture is there. And take your computer; you need that laptop for something, after all. We have food there too, in the fridge. Honey, everything's taken care of.
" "Okay, I'll pack.
" "Okay. I'm not interrupting. If anything, I'll be in the bedroom."
My mother came out of the room and smiled warmly. Her eyes signaled me not to worry, that everything would be fine, that we would manage.
Brak komentarzy:
Prześlij komentarz