From the moment we entered this apartment, I knew I'd made a mistake coming here. The people were strange—stiff, serious, with drinks in their hands... I didn't notice any beers, the sounds of friendly vodka drinking, not to mention the smell of cigarettes. And it was well after 10 p.m.
The little girl smiled innocently. She'd said from the start that this wouldn't be my kind of house party, and if I didn't want to, I didn't have to go with her. But I was elated, and I ignored my friends in favor of meeting hers. Luckily, they weren't any good friends of hers (they were now drinking, of course, with ours), but some old buddies, some birthday party...
The house... the villa, really, nothing special. About 300 people could have gotten in. So why were there only about 40?
She introduced me to some funny guys, hung out with us for a while, and then left to greet the others. She knew everyone here – which scared me a little, because I couldn't imagine her in such company. But it's always a new experience in a relationship.
"Have you been with Małgorzata long?" asked the sleek Kamil, in a funny sweater and with a juice in his hand ("...because I drive"). Apparently, he didn't like my looser trousers, full-cup, or even a regular hoodie either.
"With Małgorzata? About six months," I replied quickly. I suspected that a longer sentence would result in some swearing directed at him, but I didn't want to do anything stupid. Especially since I was completely sober.
"So, how did her final exams go? Did she get into medicine?" asked the second one, who looked more approachable, but also: jacket, creased trousers... I began to wonder if this wasn't some kind of costume party.
"Of course, no problem.
" "Don't you remember how many points she got?" They both looked in my direction, surprised. And what am I? An accountant?!
"It was a while ago. The important thing is that she got in, right?
" "And where do you study?" "Oh no... I'll give one of them a hard time... don't they know normal topics? If I could just pull out what I had in my pocket and give it to them to try... hmmm, maybe that would open their minds.... In my mind's eye, I could see all those people flying around in a haze of green smoke, talking about the meaning of existence and watching music videos from Compton... it would be like How High! But no... I promised to be good.
"I'm not a student yet," I replied politely. I needed a beer. "Do you have any la... girls here?" I asked, trying to take control of the conversation (and the place, too, by the way). But their faces expressed only disapproval.
"Girls...?" I wasn't entirely sure what he meant. "Other than Małgorzata?" I could barely keep my fist from clenching. From the way he said it, I concluded that my own woman was the only one here and for them it was completely normal.
"Kamil expressed himself badly..." the other one finally said. "Of course we have girls here, but we're surprised you're thinking about others when you're here with Małgorzata." "What is this place...? Maybe I still haven't recovered from yesterday...?! I hope...
" "I meant you guys!" You're standing here alone, when you should be doing some girl talk, dancing a bit... so many rooms... "...and if they look and act like you, they'd go for it quickly," I added to myself. Luckily, Mała came, kissed me on the cheek, brought me a drink (it was a double... I loved her, among other things, for knowing what I liked).
15 minutes after entering, I'd had enough. But I promised. Only 45 more minutes. And soon my girl would put me in her car, we'd go to her place... or to Szisza, where a "rival" party was going on.
"So, how are you having fun? Have you seen Aleksandra and Joanna yet?" Oh no... that Kamil again... with the same juice... I wanted to bang my head against the wall. What was he doing with those names? I pictured our crew, the one I'd grown up with since I was a little kid and I don't remember half our names, only our nicknames, where at some party everyone calls each other by their full names... It's a good phase, I'll suggest it to the boys as soon as I see them...
"I've seen some. But I'll leave them to you, I have my best..." I replied, taking a sip of the terribly sweet juice, slightly flavored with vodka.
"I have to admit you're absolutely right." "Oh no. Let's not get started on the subject of Little..." "You see, Małgorzata hasn't been with us very often. She's only been in this company for a relatively short time. But we've all grown to like her very much." I preferred not to ask him what they usually did at regular meetings in... pubs? Probably rather exclusive restaurants over afternoon coffee. "We wanted her to go to law school, like us, but she preferred medicine. It was always her dream. And then she met you." "Do I hear a reproach..." "I'll tell you honestly, we were a little worried about her. But now that you've come here with her, we think it could have been worse... She had such a..." For his own good, I shut off my thinking and understanding. In a way, At that moment, I couldn't stand it anymore. The blunt in my back pocket was just begging to be lit.
I excused myself politely and headed to a quiet spot in the garden.
I sat quietly on a bench, took out my lighter... first hit, second... Things were getting better. Someone emerged from behind the bushes. He sat down next to me, and without thinking
, I handed him my stash, as usual, which, surprisingly, he took advantage of. And he didn't choke. I looked at the guy, and he was bearable. Maybe this company wasn't so bad after all...? "I see you're here, like me, by a higher power..." the first one said. I glanced at him again. There was something about him that didn't fit this place and this people.
"Yes, indeed."
"Oh... women..." he said sententiously and took a drag.
"I hope mine isn't looking for me, because I'd get a real kicking for that..." I replied, exhaling the smoke and throwing the filter into the grass.
"Mine too... I feel sorry for those people... Look at this house... what great parties they could throw here... and they only talk about politics, studies, and starving Ethiopians...
" I thought the same thing while talking to..."—no matter what his name was. I'll never see him again...
"You..." he suddenly jumped up from the bench. "That woman of yours, Gośka, right?" I nodded, gazing at the stars. "She said you lived in the same neighborhood as me..."—and so it began: shared schools, shared courtyards, and friends..." "Don't tell me they're sitting at Shisha's now, slacking off...
" "That's right.
" "Then... let's get them here!" I laughed mockingly. I was going to come up with a million reasonable arguments, even just my girlfriend's name would be enough, but... the idea was brilliant. 30 of us would crash this party and show these... strange creatures how to party.
"Call Kapusta, I'll take over Drum and Yellow..."
And so, after half an hour, we'd called everyone, arranged for some cool girls, music, alcohol, and pizza. We stood by the gate until three cars with ours pulled up. We explained the situation to the guys, then all we could hear was how the quiet jazz turned into sharp, heavy R'n'B and real East Coast rap. We showed the newcomers the way, ate our pizza, and after about an hour, we decided to check out the scale of our creation.
And it exceeded our wildest expectations – we didn't know half the people (not counting those who had been there before). The other half had turned the large living room and dining room into a dance floor, dimmed the lights, and most of them were already undressing on the dance floor. A few girls were dancing alone, but it was only a matter of time before someone approached them – most of the beer and vodka had already dispersed. A real house party, then.
The owner of the house and other participants from the previous "artistic-hopeless evening" also got into the spirit – they danced, chatted with new friends, and shared their first kisses... The women were also doing well – they took off their elegant shoes and jackets, let down their hair – they no longer looked like cold, calculating slobs behind their desks. My friend and
I exchanged high fives, and each of us began searching for our other half.
We found them both sitting in some dark room with a bottle of cheap wine, lying on a large bed, kissing each other passionately.
I won't go into detail about what happened next.
However, as the four of us lay under the covers, they both agreed that from the moment they stepped foot in the doorway, they'd been hoping for a miracle.
Brak komentarzy:
Prześlij komentarz