CHAPTER XVI
"Niklas..." she whispered as she woke.
She felt a wonderful warmth. Someone tugged at her shoulder. She opened her eyes slowly. A man. She couldn't help but think of Vengel. They led her quickly to her isolation room. She sat down heavily, seeking solace in solitude. The walls were exceptionally cold, and the light wasn't the best either. She lay down on her bunk to get some sleep, but instead, something began to choke her violently, and she finally burst into a violent cough. She covered her mouth with her hands, and when she pulled them back, she saw blood. She stared at it, terrified, unable to utter a word. Her breathing was sharp, rapid, and horribly rasping. She felt dizzy, nauseous. Blood?! Was it because of the currents? Why? Do I have to die now? No! I don't want to... Niklas, for God's sake, take me away from here! It must have been a long time. She calculated it so that she was given water twice a day. Morning and evening. Now she must have been given something twenty times. They probably forgot about her... She moaned desperately. There was more and more blood, she was absolutely terrified. Someone opened the door and turned on the light. She narrowed her eyes, burying her face in her hands. It didn't take long to realize that Vengel had come to her. She wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.
"Are you okay?" he asked in a soft voice. "
What does that look like?" she snapped, angrily, but she started coughing again.
"God!" Vengel moaned.
He hadn't seen the blood on her hands yet. She groaned in pain. She slowly opened her hands.
"Is this what you wanted?" she said with difficulty. "You succeeded, I'll soon be kicking the bucket..."
He looked at her with uncomprehending eyes and finally lifted her into his arms. Hitomi was too tired to defend herself or shout any curses. She felt utterly exhausted. Vengel sat her down on the couch where she had once slept. The man looked around helplessly and pulled a syringe from a wall cabinet. She stepped back. She knew their methods. The police could never be trusted. Meanwhile, Vengel knelt before her.
"Don't you dare!" she hissed, pulling his hand away.
"These are medicines!" he glared at her.
She was so weak she could barely speak.
"I don't want anything! Do you hear me?
" "Lie down!" he pushed her onto the couch.
Hitomi tried to sit up again, but she couldn't. He slowly unbuttoned her sleeve. Otherwise, it wouldn't have penetrated the hard material. She clenched her fists. Then she felt a sting, a bluish fluid seeping into her veins. She coughed bloody coughs again. Vengel waited. He stared at the girl's body; she was so thin! They had to give her something to eat sometime, if this continued... He gently covered her with a blanket. Hitomi woke up a few days later. When she opened her eyes, Vengel was standing over her. She squinted and sat up. The dizziness hadn't subsided, but the sharp pains in her chest had vanished.
"Perfect, to the hour." He smiled, looking at his watch.
"What did you give me?" she said sharply.
"A restorative sleep medicine...
" "Do you want to keep me here forever?!...
" "Here..." He handed her a cup of tea.
She looked at his face for a long time, only then reached for the cup, his hand trembling and cold. Vengel turned on the TV. They were talking about police murders. Hitomi didn't understand a thing. It took a moment for the truth to sink in. The murders were being committed against people in the unit she was in. And they had started ever since she was kidnapped. As she could have expected, the mafia was trying to get her out. Her eyes widened, and the half-empty cup fell from her hand, spilling tea on the carpet.
"I'm sorry," she smiled involuntarily.
"Are you happy?" the man asked, looking at the screen. "So many people are dying because of you.
" "That will teach you a lesson. Don't track us down and catch us," she stated coldly.
"We can't.
" "That's your problem.
" "You don't even know about all the people you've driven to their graves.
" "You're wrong. And besides, I wasn't the one who encouraged them to start using drugs.
" "You're heartless.
" "What do you know about that?!" If you were sitting in the suburbs, in houses overflowing with lice, cockroaches, and rats, you would understand me. If you saw people dying on your shoulders, how they suffered. How their ears, fingers, even hair fell off, you wouldn't call me heartless now. No! You didn't see this... when the frosts came, people either starved to death or ate the bodies of their loved ones. They burned them to keep warm. And they cut off frozen feet with blunt glass from the windows..." She couldn't continue; the memory of everything she'd been through made her feel sick.
"I didn't know..." he began.
"What do you know about this?! You don't know anything about the mafia. Except that it's outside YOUR law.
" "Everyone seems to see it differently.
" "I don't think so. You're the ones who want to make our lives miserable! Why don't you just let us live!?
" "That's impossible! We're the guardians of the law, and we can't let that happen!
" "Ha!" It's like you don't even know where our quarters are!
"Then why don't you tell us?
" "Do you think I'm an idiot?!" she snapped.
"No, I think you're...
" "What? For what?
" "Don't ask such questions." He stood up so she couldn't see his face.
"You're a coward..." Her cough prevented her from speaking.
CHAPTER XVII
Suddenly they heard an alarm. Hitomi, uncomprehending, looked at the terrified Vengel. Several men ran through the corridor, and finally everything fell silent.
"What happened?
" "Probably the mafia... Unfortunately, they found out about us and you.
" "Really?!" Her voice trembled with happiness.
"They'll be here soon." He looked at the monitor.
"Run...
" "No!
" "Exactly. You don't stand a chance..." she smiled triumphantly.
"We'll see." He approached her.
"Leave me here!" she hissed, defending herself against him. The man lifted her into his arms and left the room.
"I'm here!" she shouted down the corridor.
But Vengel covered her mouth. She was too weak to stop him. They found themselves in the elevator. Only there did he realize the girl had calmed down incredibly. When he looked at her face, he saw tears streaming from her eyes. "She's crying!" he thought, horrified. "She's really crying!" It was the first time he'd seen weakness in this girl, the first time she'd been so utterly helpless and desperate. Her saviors were so close, yet she couldn't go with them. She squeezed her eyes shut to block out his expression. She didn't want to, and she cursed him silently, wishing him the worst. With a heavy heart, he left the elevator and went to the underground garage. And there, an unpleasant surprise awaited him. Several gun barrels of armed men turned toward him. He couldn't recognize anyone. They were all dressed identically in black, with dark balaclavas pulled over their faces.
"Let her go!" someone shouted.
Vengel realized they weren't the police. He frowned and stared at the half-conscious girl in his arms for a long time. Finally, slowly and gently, he placed her on the cold concrete in front of him. He stood up and walked a few steps away. No one moved, only the man who had ordered him to release the girl now knelt beside her.
"Aleksander..." she whispered, smiling weakly.
"Did...?!
" "No, I didn't say anything." Tears welled up in her eyes.
Cold eyes, they looked at her tenderly and with relief. Then those same eyes turned icy as they stared at Vengel.
"You'll pay for what you did to her!" he hissed at him and motioned to the men behind them.
Without a word, they handcuffed the man and led him into a gray BMW. Then they drove away. Aleksander picked up the girl and carried her to his car. He gently placed her in the backseat and slowly drove to his quarters.
"I knew..." she whispered. "I knew you'd come for me..."
"That was a great operation," he laughed. "We wiped them out like flies. Everyone in the city will now know our power...
" "And where's Niklas!?
" "He's still at the post. He led the entire group. I'm sure he'll be back in a few hours."
The girl sobbed silently. Finally, she closed her eyes and whispered thanks. She didn't know what happened next, as she lost consciousness. Alexander first carried her to his boss so he could examine the girl's emaciated figure. Then he left for a certain device, which was very necessary for physical, and sometimes even mental, recovery. When Niklas was able to enter the room where the girl lay in the dark machine, he was shocked. Everything had happened so quickly. He had reacted automatically; everything in the quarters had been destroyed and killed. Now he was listening to the information about Hitomi, who, having never regained consciousness, was receiving an IV to nourish herself. He was looking at the data screen when a girl walked in. Her name was Minako, and she was an old friend of the unconscious woman.
"You should see this..."
She said, pressing a few buttons on the computer, and then memories of Hitomi's last days in the police headquarters appeared on the wall. Vengel and all her other tormentors were there.
"For God's sake!" he whispered, shocked.
"Don't you think she should forget about it?" asked Minako, who worked there.
"Certainly..." he confirmed with a nod.
"Is Mr. Vengel in the headquarters?
" "Yes. We have him under observation. We'll wait with him until Hitomi wakes up and recovers. For now, erase most of the terrible memories from her mind! But only those...
" "Yes, sir..."
Niklas stood by the computer for a moment longer, then went home. There, he drank himself into unconsciousness to relieve his emotions... Hitomi's recovery lasted a whole week. Over the past few days, the girl had managed to regain her former weight and beautiful complexion. Her appearance was now completely gone. Minako tried her best to support her friend. Finally, the day came when she could release the sleeping Hitomi. Niklas stood beside her as the machine opened from the top. After a moment, Hitomi slowly rose and squeezed her eyes shut against the glaring fluorescent light.
"Hitomi!" Niklas shouted, laughing.
"Niklas!? So it wasn't a dream?!" she stammered, rising to her feet.
"My dearest! I was so worried about you," he laughed, squeezing her tightly in his arms.
"Oh, Niklas, Niklas..." she sobbed quietly. "It was all so awful, I was afraid you wouldn't come for me and...
" "Shh..." her husband soothed. "You're with us now, you're safe. And now I'll take care of you.
" "Thank you..."
"Hitomi?" Yatan shouted, followed by Alexander. Her brother's face seemed to smile for the first time.
"Little brother!" she whispered, hugging him.
"My God, what have I been through...
" "Don't worry anymore..."
"It's lucky you're home now.
" "I'm so happy!
" "Minako worked miracles!" Alexander smiled, hugging Hitomi.
"Minako?!" the girl said in surprise.
"Yes, she's been working here for a few months. Didn't you know that?" he asked with a smile.
"No..." She looked around, but there was no one else in the room.
"So are we going for a beer?" Niklas asked.
"But we're going to Phi Long?" Yatan remarked as he left.
"No problem, I'm paying for it.
" * Phi Long? Flying Dragon
CHAPTER XVIII
A long time passed while Hitomi tried to pull herself together. Although she was already healthy on the outside, she was a wreck on the inside. Niklas did everything he could to make the girl feel better, but it wasn't easy. Hitomi only cried at night, because only then did her memories intensify. Then he would take her in his arms and dry her tears with kisses. He wanted to give her a sense of infinite security. So that she wouldn't have to fear anything with him. Hitomi was very, very grateful to him for everything. She thanked him in many ways and tried with all her might to smile as often as possible. But it wasn't easy. The memories, of which she already had a lot, tormented her to such an extent that, without even realizing it, she was increasingly tormented by them. One day, however, Leylia arrived from the USA. Both girls cried when they greeted her. Leylia knew her husband's problems, as he often wrote to her online.
"I'll help you," her friend whispered.
"Rather unlikely," Hitomi smiled bitterly.
"Trust me. I'll be with you until you recover."
"Thank you," Hitomi laughed softly.
Niklas nodded in satisfaction. For several weeks now, Hitomi had been living with Leylia and had let her infect her with her sense of humor and zest for life. Hitomi may have wanted to live, but ever since she was kidnapped, she had been so unbearable that few could stand her for long. She was so sad that Niklas was afraid she would hurt herself one day... Leylia had worked wonders in this matter, being as lively and energetic as anyone. This finally gave Hitomi strength. She stayed with Leylia for a few more days, and only then decided with satisfaction that it was time to go home. Home... When she returned unexpectedly to the apartment, she found Niklas completely drunk. As she entered the living room, she smelled the unpleasant smell of sweat and saw her husband lying on the shoe-stained sofa. She groaned in horror and frowned darkly.
"What's that supposed to mean, Niklas?" she asked, approaching him.
"Hi, honey..." He smiled at the sight of her.
"I didn't expect such a greeting..." because Niklas didn't even get up to greet her—she started taking off his shoes. "Since when... since when have you been drinking?
" "Isn't it okay to have fun sometimes?"
"Sure, but not to the point of unconsciousness." She placed her shoes next to the dresser.
Then she took a towel and soaked it under cold water.
"Here..." she handed it to him, and he placed it on his face.
"Good, you're back..." he muttered from under the towel. He heard Hitomi picking up trash from the floor and arranging the cushions in the armchairs. Then, despite the cold night, she opened the window.
"Niklas, don't do that again..." she said, sitting down on his couch.
"Of course, honey. No problem." She felt herself getting angry.
"If you get that drunk again..." She was speechless.
"So what?!" he asked, placing a towel on the table next to the couch.
"I'll whip your ass!" she moaned, half-jokingly, half-seriously.
Niklas laughed, sitting down on the couch.
"I missed you," he said softly, touching her long, shiny hair.
"And that's why you got drunk?
" "What?" he smiled, flushed from the beer. His hands tightened around her waist, and his lips pressed a kiss to her neck.
"Niklas! For God's sake," she hissed, standing up. "I don't want to be with a drunk man..." Go to the bathroom, and then sleep.
"But..." he groaned, dissatisfied.
However, he got up obediently and, staggering every few moments, reached the bathroom. When the girl heard the water splashing, she called in the housekeeper, who cleaned and washed everything dirty in half an hour. Hitomi was glad that these helpful robots had become so widespread that they could afford them. In the bedroom, she changed the sheets, changed in the other bathroom, and went to bed. She secretly wished she would never fall into depression again, but she knew it could happen at any moment...
After a few minutes, Niklas entered the room. He was a portly, beautifully built man. He looked at her, turning off the light with a snap of his fingers. His hair was damp and his face was a little pale; he must have been under cold water. When he lay down and, leaning over her, touched her lips with his index finger, she no longer felt disgusted with him.
"I'm sorry. I behaved absolutely idiotically!"
"It doesn't matter," she smiled gently.
"I'm sorry," he repeated, lying down on his side of the bed.
"I'm glad you got me out..."
"This would have all happened faster if Qvol hadn't wanted everything to be perfect. We've been having problems lately; there's no hiding it... There's a lack of raises. Can you imagine that?"
"Niklas..." the girl placed her hand on his shoulder. "I will always be with you.
" "I know that..." he kissed her forehead.
CHAPTER 19
A few peaceful days passed. Hitomi, just in case, wasn't allowed out of the apartment. Therefore, she had plenty of time to think about Leylia. She told her more and more about Alexander. Hitomi didn't mind because Alexander was a wonderful man, masculine and sensual to the extreme, and so attractive that if she hadn't loved Niklas so much, she certainly wouldn't have been indifferent to him. Alexander, despite knowing perfectly well Leylia's feelings for him, remained insensitive and indifferent to everything. Leylia spoke bitterly of how he had treated her recently, how much he had hurt her when he hadn't come. Finally, Hitomi, seeing her dear friend's despair, decided to talk to Alexander.
"Konnihiwa," Alexander smiled, coming to her one day.
"Ohaya, dear friend," she gestured to the couch, "I know I shouldn't drag you away from work, but this is a rather delicate matter that brooks no further delay.
" "I'm listening." He looked at her intently.
"I'm talking about Leylia." Alexander paled, but didn't interrupt the girl. "I don't understand why you treat her like this. You see what's happening to her. And she's becoming more and more desperate. You understand me, surely?! ... I don't mean to interfere in your affairs, but...
" "You did the right thing," he nodded, his face strangely pale. He was silent for a long time, and only then burst into nervous laughter. Hitomi waited, uncomprehending.
"You didn't notice anything in these three years?!," he finally asked bitterly. "Nothing at all?
" "What's the matter?"
"You really are more naive than I thought... It's a pity, I hoped you would understand and accept me. And here comes this circus..." He bit his lower lip. "I'm talking about me and Benjamin."
"Oh my God..." she whispered, covering her mouth with her hands.
Alexander smiled sadly.
"I'm not ashamed of it. There are many people like us. In closed wards... I think you understand.
" "Alexander, I didn't know. Nothing, I suspected nothing.
" "Everyone is so impressed with you. We worked together two years before your wedding. Do you think I would leave you alone?" he asked.
The girl shook her head.
"I understand everything now," she said finally. "Don't you want to talk to Leylia about this?"
"No. I don't want to hurt her. I barely know her. I've only seen her at parties. Don't get me wrong...
" "Of course. Then maybe you'll entrust me with this task, huh?" she asked uncertainly.
"I'd be grateful..." He fell silent and looked at her for a long time.
Only then did he touch her hand.
"Do you want to keep in touch with me?
" "You know?" she frowned. "How can you ask me such a stupid question?! You're my best friend. When I think about how many times we've gotten out of trouble together, it makes me laugh. You're the most wonderful person I know, next to Niklas. I wouldn't want to break up with you for anything in the world!
" "You said it beautifully," he smiled with relief.
"Just promise me you'll be the same as always. Okay?"
"Of course, but can I ask you to be discreet?"
"I won't tell anyone," she smiled.
And Alexander kissed her forehead. He was so happy that someone understood him. And he hadn't expected this from this beautiful girl now on his side. He was so happy. Shortly after their conversation, Hitomi went down to Leylia's. She wanted to talk to her right away. Until she changed her mind and ran away. Leylia had always been so kind to her, now he couldn't leave her alone. When they finally sat down on the couch, Hitomi was silent for a moment.
"I'm talking about Alexander," she began.
"About Alexander?" Leylia repeated.
"Yes, he was at my place today and we talked...
" "Did he say anything about me?
" "Leylia, he doesn't even know you. He has no feelings for you and...
" "So he's fallen in love with you?
" "With me?" The question caught Hitomi off guard.
"He always spoke so highly of you, praised you, and appreciated everything. Benjamin told me that. His friend. Why would it be any different then?
" "Because I... Because I'm not his type.
" "Really?! You fit together like a puzzle. Anyway, say what you want.
" "You're wrong, Leylia. He loves someone else..." she stated.
But she wasn't sure if love was even possible in their case.
"He loves someone else..." the girl repeated dryly.
"Yes. You can't force him to turn to you."
"But when I love him so much," she moaned desperately.
"It's more like infatuation. He's so sensual!
" "Exactly!" she moaned. "If only he'd wanted to kiss me.
" "You sound like you're in China. You can't kiss here without a reason. And as for that kiss, you can forget about it right away." Hitomi began to get nervous.
"What are you even talking about?
" "About Alexander not wanting anything to do with you. He doesn't feel anything for you. He doesn't want you, do you understand?!
" "But..." Leylia moaned.
"I'm sorry, but he's really indifferent to you and will always be like this, to every girl..."
It was supposed to be a hidden message, but Leylia took it as saying that he loves this one and doesn't want any other. She cried silently.
"Please, there are so many other men."
"But I want Alexander!
" "Don't act like a spoiled child.
" "You know that?!" Leylia said indignantly.
"What do you think you're thinking?! That tears will bring him back, after all, he never gave you even a moment of hope.
" "But...
" "Leylia, you know I owe you a lot and I don't want to see your tears. I'm so sorry everything happened this way. But Alexander isn't for you, do you understand?
" "Yes, I think I understand. But you have to know that it will take some time to come to terms with it..." she whispered, crying. Hitomi nodded with satisfaction, glad that she had at least talked some sense into her. She had already made a start... That night, she told her husband everything. He listened attentively, and he himself was surprised that Alexander had... such abilities.
"It's very strange that Leylia is so infatuated with him," he said finally.
"Do you think I did the right thing?"
"Sure, I couldn't have done it better myself.
" "I'm worried about her.
" "About Leylia?! No, she'll be fine. Tomorrow she'll probably be making fun of our neighbor again.
" "And she has something to joke about," Hitomi smiled.
"It's literally a brothel there, it makes me sick to think about it..." Niklas began.
"Ultimately, it's his business what he does with the money.
" "Oh! Speaking of money. Qvol asked you to come, they have new dealers, we need good and trustworthy people, that's why we're reactivating the reserves.
" "I understand, I'll go tomorrow night when he sends me a fax.
" "Don't worry about that..." he hugged her tighter.
"How much longer are you going to keep this policeman here?" she asked, drawing some symbols on his chest.
"His name is Vengel, honey. We want to get something out of him, but so far he's not saying anything.
" "Can I see him? He's been helping me, and I'd like to get him to say something."
"Maybe you're right, if anyone can do it, it's definitely you." He smiled, kissing her hair.
His hand fell to her stomach. She felt a warmth spread through her, and she drew in a breath. She knew what he was thinking.
"Hitomi, I... We've been married for so long..." he began with difficulty. "Have you never thought
about it?" "A child?" she asked, resting her cheek on his chest.
"I would be good to you and spoil you beyond measure. Hitomi, I want a child. I feel so grown up. Like I've left something behind and finally matured.
" "I've often thought about it too, but..." she didn't finish.
"But?" he asked.
"I'm afraid I won't be able to live up to my responsibilities as a mother and wife..." she finally whispered.
"Don't worry about that!" he called softly and laughed. "I'll always help you, you'll never be alone, so together we'll manage..."
CHAPTER XX
Niklas was right when he said Leylia would start being herself again. They didn't have to wait long; a few days later, she invited them in for a cup of sake and, with a radiant smile, admitted that she really had been childish. Hitomi smiled at her husband, who put his arm around her. After a pleasant hour, the girl got on her motorcycle and headed for her quarters. After greeting the guards, she gave her code and entered the cell where Vengel was. She was horrified when she saw his condition. He'd been beaten so severely that there wasn't a single healthy inch of flesh left on him. Ignoring her pants, she knelt beside him; he hadn't recognized her yet. She gently touched his hair, as if to check if it was just bloody or sweaty.
"Hitomi..." he finally groaned.
"Vengel," she began with difficulty, "You were right, I could have slandered. At least they didn't beat me like that. Please, you have to tell them...
" "Did you come here to persuade me?" he asked sharply.
"Yes. You helped me too. If it weren't for you, I certainly wouldn't be alive now.
" "I won't say anything.
" "Do you want to stay here?!" She looked around. "This is awful, there are about a hundred of you here! And you're not someone special that they should come to you every day!
" "Hitomi, that's nice of you, but...
" "Stop talking nonsense!" she shouted angrily. "Don't you understand?! They'll kill you. Kill you!!! Understand, I beg you, it's the only way...
" "Why are you crying?" he touched her pale cheek with his bruised hand. "Is it because of me?
" "Yes..." she whispered. "You're more than just an acquaintance to me." You helped me, and even though I always yelled at you, I felt safe with you, but now you want to kill yourself, and I don't know what to do to convince you...
"Oh, Hitomi." He nodded, hiding his hand under his dirty shirt.
"Please... If you come over to our side. Then...
" "No way, I'm not..."
"Oh, please." She clenched her fists across her chest. "It's very important.
" "Thank you, but I can't. You have to understand, you've been in a similar situation..." he said quietly.
"You're right, but I'll get you out of here. I promise. And then we'll manage somehow. Okay?
" "Hitomi.
" "Okay?!!" she insisted.
"Okay..." he smiled sadly.
He had little chance of survival if he didn't agree to her offer. The girl then left the cell and collected the goods in her office. Vengel wasn't as easy to convince as she thought. But somehow she'd manage. After changing into her black, tight-fitting protective gear, she hopped back on her bike and rode at breakneck speed through the nearly empty city streets. Rain poured down... Hitomi's very long hair was now fluttering in the wind. It took a while before she stopped in the parking lot in front of Tokyo Tower. She looked around carefully, but no one was there yet. She was furious that she had to wait in such weather. Finally, she heard a horn. She smiled as a car pulled up beside her.
"TSUNAMI?" asked a hoarse voice she already knew from somewhere.
"Who?" she snorted indifferently.
"Do you have the goods?
" "Sure, how much do you want?
" "Two kilograms..." he replied.
Hitomi prepared the powder, still wondering where she knew that voice from. It finally dawned on her. This was the guy who helped her and then used her!!! She paled with rage. Now she would pay him back. There was another man in the car. He was behind the wheel.
"Don't you remember me?" she asked slowly.
"I don't understand," he said, getting offended.
"You're my friend, you little scoundrel," she hissed, putting the barrel of the gun to his forehead and shouting at the driver not to move.
"Hitomi, Hitomi..." he shook his head. "That was great.
" "It depends on who it was for." She cocked the gun.
"Don't shoot, why do you need trouble?
" "The only problem I'll have is a new car, if it's not full of your blood!" she hissed at him.
"I beg you, don't...
" "Don't explain yourself to me now. I promised you once I'd kill you. Now I have to keep my promise..." she smiled and shot.
Just as she expected, the skull exploded under the laser, splattering brain matter across all the windows. She ordered the driver to get out of the car and tell him where the money was. When he tried to escape, she shot him, watching the blood spray through the air. In the car's glove compartment, she found a ton of money. Her supposed friend was clearly a politician; she laughed nervously as she counted the money. 100,000,000 yen and a few hundred dollars don't come around every day. With trembling hands, she stuffed them into the glove compartment of the motorcycle and headed for her quarters. There, she went straight to her boss. Qvol was even fatter than before. She smiled, bowing low to him.
"What's the matter?" he asked, releasing the half-naked girl, who disappeared just beyond the door.
Hitomi confidently walked to his desk and opened her briefcase, carefully arranging the money inside. Qvol's eyes widened and, swallowing hard, he looked at her in surprise.
"Where did you get so much money?" he asked sharply.
"A politician," she shrugged.
"Great! When's he coming back?
" "He probably won't be able to do that.
" "For God's sake, did you take him out?!
"I couldn't have done it any other way..." she explained calmly.
"Oh, why?! He liked you and he forced you into his car?!," he demanded furiously.
"No, he used me once. And I took revenge on him.
" "You idiot," he yelled, looking at her. "Do you know how much money we'll lose? Did you even think about the police??? What were you even thinking?"
His hands clenched into fists.
"Listen, man," she hissed through gritted teeth. "Either way, you have this money, do whatever you want with it. I've used up my strength for today. I'm not going to argue with you. It's better to let that bitch come to you and..." she didn't finish.
Qvol jumped up from his seat and pressed her against the wall. Hitomi looked at him indifferently.
"Married or not." Qvol touched her breasts. "If I want it, you'll be mine..."
"I'd rather not," she said with such irony that his hands gripped her breasts with such force that she moaned in pain.
"We'll see, you devil." He ripped her blouse off.
Now Hitomi was frightened. She hadn't thought Qvol, a married member of her new family, would be capable of violence against her. Meanwhile, his hands were already unbuttoning her pants. She screamed in anger and tried to push him away. But that only made matters worse. She untied her hair and covered herself with it like a cloak.
"Leave me alone, or Niklas..." she moaned, her voice trembling.
"Come on, we'll do it here."
This was too much for her. She slapped him across the face with such force that he took a step back.
"Don't you dare touch me!" " she hissed, trying to escape toward the door through which the boss's lover had disappeared.
"You're not going anywhere.
" He pushed her to the ground with such force that she lay stunned for a moment, unaware of what was happening. "Niklas," she thought desperately. With the last of her strength, she tried to push his trembling hands away. No one could hear her muffled scream. They struggled for a moment longer when Niklas suddenly entered the room. He was all red, and when he saw them on the ground... Naked... Hitomi's aching face, her hands resting on his shoulders. He paled completely. Qvol smiled when he saw him. The act of lovemaking had long since begun.
"Niklas..." whispered a pale Hitomi. "Help me...
" "You pig," he hissed at the boss and lunged toward them.
Qvol was so infatuated with Hitomi that he didn't even move. Niklas tried to push him away.
"Just a moment..." the boss panted. "Wait, damn it!
" "She's my wife!!!" Niklas shouted in frustration. "Leave her alone..."
"Oh my God! Just a moment..." He raised his eyes.
Hitomi's body tensed more and more.
"Niklas!"
Hitomi screamed desperately. The man looked at them and finally pointed the gun at Qvol. The man bulged at him.
"You wouldn't dare," he gasped.
"You know I dare.
" "Niklas..." Hitomi's voice was terrible. It sounded like she was insane.
"Leave her alone!" he shouted at him, and when the man didn't stop, he fired. Qvol fell onto his back. Niklas looked at the girl lying on the ground. She stared wide-eyed at the ceiling. Then she moved those same eyes to him and curled into a ball.
"My God, Hitomi..." he whispered, looking at her scratched body.
The girl burst into tears as he wrapped her in his long, black coat. Then he carried her to the hospital, where her wounds were dressed. When they had settled everything in their quarters, they went to their apartment. Hitomi didn't say a word to her husband. During the night, she found it hard to believe that she didn't want him to come near her now. Niklas listened helplessly to her cries.
"Please, don't cry, Hitomi..." he whispered.
"Niklas..." she sobbed. "Niklas...
" CHAPTER XXI
This time, Hitomi tried very hard to be strong, but the humiliation and fear were so strong within her that she was afraid of everything. Especially the tenderness Niklas showed her. Alexander had a completely different place in this situation. Since he wasn't interested in girls, Hitomi felt safe with him and could cry as much as she wanted. In her anguish, she didn't even see how much her husband was suffering because of this...
Qvol was dead, so they had to find a new president. It wasn't that easy, however, and eventually a very capable young man named Ulvhedin sat behind the desk. Niklas was acquitted of the charges, as it was generally agreed that he had acted in defense of his wife. Hitomi laughed as the court's verdict was announced, and Niklas breathed a sigh of relief. Thanks to the new chairman, everything began to flow differently than before. Everything found new energy. The new chairman's only flaw was his particular capacity for brutality. Qvol, on the other hand, was incorrigibly lenient in many matters, so now most people in the mafia, especially the men, simply adored the new boss. All cases were resolved brutally, and no one minded. TSUNETAMI quickly recovered from the debts Qvol had incurred, becoming twice as rich. Ulvhedin proved to be the best mafia chairman to date, and everyone was very happy with him. True, the man liked to have fun and had a wide circle of friends, but who would care?! Hitomi decided to take advantage of the situation and free poor Vengel, who was still stuck in his cell.
"I'll take care of him!" she said to her boss.
"Sure." He shook his head.
He wasn't exactly handsome, but there was something about him that the girl couldn't quite place.
"No way, he's a cop and he needs to be dealt with.
" "But he saved my life!
" "That's wonderful, thank him and you'll be even.
" "Don't mock me!" she glared at him. "I care about him, don't you understand?"
"I don't care!" he said, looking at her very long hair, which, despite being tied in a ponytail, reached mid-thigh.
"Please, there has to be a way..." she begged him.
"Maybe there is, but I don't want to end up like Qvol..." he smiled.
Hitomi remembered his predecessor with disgust and involuntarily wondered if all men only thought about that one thing.
"And there's no other way?" she asked silently.
"He is, if you can get information out of him about our people being transported to the camp, I'll let him go.
" "No problem," she smiled and left, bowing low to him.
She went to Vengel's cell. When she arrived, she was in shock; several men were kicking him, even though he was unconscious.
"Enough, boys," she said curtly.
The men looked at her and at the officer rank she wore on her shoulder. Then they left without saying a word, leaving Vengel bleeding on the ground. Hitomi groaned and sank to her knees beside him. Slowly and carefully, she placed him in her arms to warm him. It took him a long time to recover. His dark eyes looked at her with surprise. Hitomi smiled gently.
"I'll take you out of here," she said quietly.
Vengel, however, shook his head.
"No..." he whispered.
"I won't leave you here, do you hear me?" For all the world, you've suffered enough. Now you'll move in with me, and I'll take care of you. Okay?
He looked at her for a long time. Hitomi saw that cold shadow in his eyes, which made her very uneasy. Slowly, she kissed his bruised forehead. His skin was already a burgundy-black shade. She was so afraid for him. When she removed her lips from his forehead and looked at him, tears fell from her eyes. She couldn't stop them.
"Do it for me, for God's sake. I beg you..." she whispered, sobbing.
Then Vengel smiled. But it was such a weak smile that Hitomi was afraid it was just a grimace of pain on his face. Then the man nodded.
"Thank you!" she smiled through her tears. "Thank you! ... You have to tell me when the prisoners are transported to the camp..."
The man groaned in horror. Even though he agreed to cooperate, he could not fully come to terms with the fact that from that day on he would be on the wrong side of the law.
"In two... weeks..." he whispered so quietly she barely heard him as she leaned closer. "At 4:00...
" "Okay... Thank you so much for your help." She smiled and pulled out her cell phone.
Her hands were bloody, and she felt nauseous as she looked at him. But she desperately wanted to help him. Absolutely, and at any cost. She punched a number on the keypad and sent the message. Ulvhedin was very pleased and allowed Vengel to be carried out of the cell, to Hitomi's house. Unfortunately, she hadn't been granted permission for the man to have restorative sleep, but despite everything, she felt a growing joy. When they put him in her former room, she felt strangely helpless and powerless. What was she supposed to do now?! Well... First, she would have to tidy him up, so that someone more experienced could take care of him later. She brought a beautiful porcelain bowl and poured water into it. Then she also brought a cloth and sat down beside him on the bed. He looked at her in surprise.
"I hope I won't offend you. I'm a rather poor nurse, so I ask for your patience..." She smiled apologetically at him and, with trembling hands, unbuttoned the torn shirt.
She had a few problems with it, as it stuck to Vengel's skin. So she soaked it and only then tried again. It worked! Despite the terrible injuries, she found that it wasn't just his face that was fascinating. Vengel closed his eyes as she washed his forehead with a cold cloth. She wanted so badly to give him relief. The water worked wonders, and soon he looked better. Then, carefully but equally carefully, she washed his chest. The man didn't take his eyes off her. This intimidated her immensely. When she finished, she looked at him. Many of the wounds had disappeared, but ulcers and clotted blood remained on the worst wounds.
"Thank you..." he whispered with difficulty.
"You would do the same for me," she smiled, dipping a cloth in fresh water. "Only I wouldn't be so calm then.
" "I wouldn't be either... But I'm too weak..." he admitted.
"I'll give you an IV in a moment." She placed a cold compress on his forehead with a trembling hand and rose from the bloody bed.
When Vengel returned, he was asleep, sleeping for the first time in days. She struggled to find places to insert the needle. She hung the IV on a hook by the window and covered him with a warm blanket. Then she stood for a moment, looking at him, wondering if she should do anything more for him. A sheet! Completely bloody... She gently pulled it out and put it in the garbage disposal. She'd manage somehow. To ease his stuffiness, she cracked the window open and finally decided she couldn't do anything more for him. In the evening, Niklas came over. He threw his bag on the couch and hung his coat on the coat rack. The house was quiet... Only in the bedroom did he hear the faint sounds of a song Hitomi loved. He saw her sitting at the computer. He smiled with relief and sat down next to her. He didn't want to frighten her, but for a moment she lost control and looked at him with eyes so terrified, the likes of which he'd never seen before. Only a second later did a gentle smile mask her true feelings. But Niklas couldn't accept it. Never in his life had he expected such panic from his wife...
"I'm sorry..." he said, standing up quickly.
"For what?" she asked, as if not understanding. "Nothing happened...
" "Oh, it happened... You're afraid of me, and I don't want that," he said sadly.
"If you want, I can move out for a few days.
" "No!" she moaned, running to her husband, whose back was turned to her. "No, don't do this to me... I need you. I have to apologize...
" "Are you afraid to even touch me?" he said sharply. "I hate you because others had you, and I?! I'm completely helpless. I'm afraid for you and for me, because one day I won't be able to stand it and I'll take you by force...
" "Niklas..." she fell to her knees, sobbing.
He looked at her for a long time, not moving. Only after a moment did he kneel beside her and touch her shoulder. The girl flinched, but only to throw her arms around his neck and bury her face in his shirt.
"I'm sorry!" she sobbed helplessly. "I'm sorry...
" "My Hitomi..." he smiled, hugging her tightly. "I love you...
" "My dear husband..." she whispered, looking at him.
And he kissed her, not gently as always, but sensually, for the first time... Then he lifted her into his arms and laid her on the bed. Hitomi shivered, but she wanted it just as much as he did. They both smiled. They knew that their child would be conceived that day...
"You don't regret it?" Niklas asked.
"How could I regret it, my dearest? On the contrary, thank you...
" "I'll be good to you, I won't let anything happen to you...
" "Would you like a boy or a girl?" she asked with a smile.
"I dream of a boy, but I haven't forgotten about a girl either.
" "So, maybe a boy and a girl?"
"You little devil!" he laughed, pressing her closer to him. "Anything you want. Everything...
" "Niklas, I'm sorry..." she whispered sadly.
"No, don't worry about anything. I understand, but my nerves got the better of me today and..."
He didn't finish, thinking he shouldn't have said everything. So they were both silent for a moment.
"Niklas? I have this policeman here. Can I take care of him?
" "Vengela!? Well, if he doesn't seduce my wife...
" "I'm only yours, Niklas, only yours," she said warmly.
CHAPTER XXII
Hitomi took good care of the policeman. She had always thought of him that way, though something inside her always told her he probably wouldn't be a policeman anymore. Under the influence of good medical care, Vengel quickly recovered enough to be able to talk freely. Niklas and he had already become friends, and Hitomi was very happy about it. Leylia, who had been visiting them quite often lately, had even brought beautiful clothes for the newborn. Hitomi thanked her warmly, glancing sideways at her friend's sickness in the next room. Eight months had passed. For some time now, Hitomi's condition had been unmistakable, and that was why she'd been able to take time off. She complained of back pain, but she always smiled and radiated such happiness that Niklas, when he returned from work, was so proud of her. When she had time off, she could think about the neighbors next door. They'd moved in almost the same month as them and saw her husband quite often, even though they weren't close to her. This irritated her a bit, and now their behavior seemed even more strange to her since they sometimes dropped in for tea. They always came when Niklas wasn't home. She didn't want to be rude, so she always welcomed them with a smile and served them the best things she had in the apartment. She had told her husband about it once, but he had dismissed it with a curt remark, and that was it. That day, Niklas wasn't supposed to be back for several days, and on the first evening, Hitomi felt bad enough to go to bed early. Soon, she started having cramps and, as she suspected, a high fever. Several hours passed, and her condition remained unchanged, and finally she heard the front door open. This surprised her a bit, as Niklas hadn't expected it yet, but she was more than happy that someone would take care of her. However, she was terrified when she saw her neighbors in the bedroom doorway! She looked at the impassive faces of two men and one woman. They were beautiful, she had always thought so. It seemed Vengel had to leave for training with the troops.
"Konnihiwa!" Leon bowed to her.
The three of them approached her bed.
"I'm sorry I can't receive you, but I feel very bad..." Hitomi spoke with difficulty.
Then Chichiro placed her hand on her burning forehead.
"He has a fever," she stated, "39.6°C..."
"But..." Hitomi moaned, uncomprehending.
"Niklas asked us to take care of you," Kamui said.
He pulled back the covers that covered her and looked at her large belly. Then he smiled with satisfaction and said that she would certainly be a wonderful child. Hitomi tried to defend herself when he put his hand under her nightgown.
"Kamui!" she cried out indignantly.
"Wait, calm down..." he said, and at the same moment Hitomi jerked back.
She stared terrified into his eyes, in which columns of numbers and letters were moving.
"...Entra..." she whispered breathlessly.
Chichiro smiled at her reassuringly.
"It's going to be a big boy..." Kamui stated. "For now, you're in no danger; the fever is caused by inflammation of the stomach." You don't have to worry... Your water will break soon...
"Oh no!" she moaned desperately.
"Don't worry, we'll help you..." Leon said.
"But I have to go to the hospital." She was feverish, and then she felt a sharp pain.
She moaned with fear.
"It's started." Chichiro approached the bed. "Leon, hold her, and you, Kamui, bring water and towels..."
She couldn't say anything because Hitomi started screaming. It was an excruciating cry that choked her breath.
"Calm down..." Leon said, holding her arms.
"Damn it, it hurts!" she screamed.
"Hitomi, get a grip," Chichiro commanded.
The labor lasted about two hours. When Hitomi heard the baby's cry, she was completely exhausted. Chichiro had cared for her son for the first few minutes of his life. Only after the baby had been washed, wrapped, and tidied up was his mother allowed to see him. He was so tiny and defenseless. And he was hers, all hers! Kamui moved her to the other side of the bed, where there were clean sheets. While Hitomi admired her little one, her neighbors took care of everything in the bedroom.
"You did great," Chichiro praised her.
"If it weren't for you, I don't know what I would have done here alone..." she admitted with a smile.
"Niklas was lucky he didn't have to hear your screams," Kamui laughed.
Hitomi's eyes darkened.
"You're Entra, right?" she asked after a moment.
"Yes," Leon confirmed.
"So why did you help me? You hate humans.
" "That's true, but in this case, we had our reasons." Kamui didn't pay much attention to her questions.
"Does this have anything to do with my husband?"
"Can I get you anything?" Chichiro asked suddenly with a smile.
"No, but..." Hitomi began, but realized it was pointless.
For now, she wanted to sleep, and only sleep. She was completely exhausted from the prolonged labor. When Niklas returned to the apartment a few days later, Hitomi was lying in bed with their son. Surprised, he paused in the doorway and watched them for a moment. Only when Hitomi looked up did she see him standing there.
"Niklas, look..." She lifted the baby so he could see him.
"My God..." he whispered and knelt down beside them. His eyes shone like never before, and his lips and face smiled at them constantly.
"He looks just like you," she admitted with a smile.
"He's premature, isn't he?"
"Yes, Kamui said it was because of the fever...
" "So they kept their promise." He gazed with delight at the little one, who was clumsily reaching out to him.
"Yes. They came shortly before the birth.
" "Thank God I met them," he smiled.
"Niklas, don't you think you should tell me the truth about them?"
"I don't understand.
" "It's Entra," she said through her teeth, looking at him intently.
"Hitomi, you shouldn't think about it.
" "I don't think so.
" "So what's the point?" he asked, sitting down next to her on the bed.
"They helped me, and everyone knows they hate humans.
" "I became friends with them; we've known each other since childhood," he admitted.
"So they had their reasons?
" "I guess so.
" "But why did you grow up together?
" "Oh, gosh, Hitomi!" he sighed. "Sometimes it's impossible to stand you...
" "I'm sorry." She shook her head with a smile. "It just seemed very strange to me.
" "It was true, and I didn't want to tell you who they really were; I didn't know how you'd react...
" "I'd probably go hysterical that these monsters lived so close to us.
" "Don't call them monsters." His eyes grew sad.
"You're right, I'm sorry."
"It doesn't matter, just... Oh, forget it." This little guy is truly beautiful...
"Look, Mikael, this is your daddy..." Hitomi said, lifting the baby into her arms.
"Hi, Mikael," Niklas laughed. "I see you've even named him.
" "Oh no, we still have everything to do.
" "Let's keep it Mikael.
" "Are you sure?" she asked, looking at him uncertainly.
"Sure, I like the name. It's very Norwegian...
" "So it's Mikael?
" "Yes." He nodded, kissing the baby's forehead.
CHAPTER XXIII
Hitomi had no major problems with her son. She loved him dearly and devoted all her time to him. Niklas didn't spend much time at home now and couldn't be with them long enough to learn about his child's life, but there would come a time when he would play a decisive role in their lives. For now, however, they both cherished every moment together. No one doubted that they were wonderful parents. Hitomi did have a few flaws in what she did. Above all, she was afraid to lift the child, lest he hurt him, and getting up at night to see her son was a torment. She loved to sleep, but now, when she had to get up late at night to see him, she didn't feel well. Days passed, everything went its own way, and it was peaceful enough for Hitomi to wander the streets. She loved it, as lately she'd preferred to stay home more and more often. The only thing that worried her was the terrible foreign policy. It was hard for her to grasp that the Netherlands had declared war on Sweden, and that Poland had also become involved in the conflict! Germany, too, was not indifferent, not to mention France... Moreover, when it became clear that all these countries were threatened by atomic bombs, panic broke out among the population! Some madman, supposedly acting in the name of peace and justice, pressed a button that caused enormous bombs to fall on the capitals of these countries. The general panic was unstoppable. Worse devastation had not been seen for centuries, and this was only the beginning... The armed forces of all Europe began to unite against the United States. For now, nothing threatened Japan, but anything could happen. And the wars waged in the far west had a very negative impact on the economy and trade. Exports collapsed, not to mention imports. Finally, it happened... One day, Japanese politicians, seeing no other option in the increasingly widespread wars, sent their army to the front, with tragic consequences. The Entra, seeing this as their opportunity, as most of the police had suddenly disappeared without a trace, moved against the Japanese population. They were determined to show their most gruesome side, slaughtering everything within reach. Unfortunately, the rebellion couldn't be stopped so easily, especially since it suddenly turned out that half the politicians were Entra. It wasn't long before panic broke out in the country. Everyone began to leave towns and villages, as it was clear that even home was unsafe. Hitomi was afraid. Meanwhile, all this had little impact on what was happening in Tsunetami. The arms trade remained unaffected. Niklas had his hands full. When his wife begged him to stay home, he ignored it. He wanted to remain in his position at all costs. Hitomi was also worried about Jatan. But when she received a text message from him one day,that he was in Australia, she calmed down completely. It was just a pity that Niklas was still delaying his departure... However, she decided to talk to him; something had to happen.
"Niklas..." she began one night. "I'm scared, can't we just leave?
" "We're in no danger, I've told you so many times!" He smiled reassuringly.
"I can't believe they'd leave us alone.
" "I have my ways with them, don't worry about a thing.
" "And the atomic bomb?! What will happen to us if we don't manage to escape in time?
" "But Hitomi..." he began.
"Not Niklas! Mikael is already a year and a half old, we have to take good care of him, otherwise..." Hitomi groaned. " Let's run away
." "Maybe you're right, that bomb might become a reality here too..." He was silent for a long time. "So tomorrow I'll go and empty our bank accounts. We'll go to an island, do you remember it? It's the one in the Pacific. "
"Oh yes, we bought it once...
" "Exactly.
" "Oh, thank you. I feel better already..." she smiled with relief.
"Maybe you're right, but I don't want to waste so much money."
"I hope we're more important than her..." Hitomi whispered.
"Of course! I'm sorry, that was very stupid of me.
" "Will you wake me up tomorrow?"
"Of course, we'll have to leave quickly, because there will definitely be traffic jams...
" "Oh Niklas, what will become of us!?
" "Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of you.
" "And I'll take care of you..." She looked into his eyes.
CHAPTER XXIV
They didn't sleep a wink, however, as several men burst into their apartment. Hitomi screamed desperately, which woke their son.
"Take care of him, I'll talk to them," Niklas said calmly, walking toward them.
"Please don't go there!" she pleaded in a trembling voice.
"Don't worry about me." He smiled reassuringly and left the bedroom.
"Niklas!?" she heard cheerful shouts. "Man! So many years!
" "Hello, friends," her husband laughed. "What brings you here?"
"The same as the others," they explained shamelessly. "We wanted to do some murder. We already have half the city on our conscience...
" "You're not going to murder us, are you?! What?
" "Us!?" They were surprised.
"I have a wife and a child," he replied with a smile.
"Is he a human or an Entra?" she heard a man's deep voice.
"A human, but so beautiful that he resembles an Entra...
" "Can we see?" They were clearly curious.
"Sure, come in..." he pointed to the bedroom door. Hitomi hugged the child to her as the two men entered. In the dim light, she could only see the familiar silhouette of her husband.
"She really is beautiful," one admitted. "It's hard to believe she's not one of us...
" "Yes," he smiled first and approached her.
The girl looked at him with fear in her eyes. He touched her child's forehead. He stood before her for a moment, his eyes closed.
"Niklas, you know..." he said finally.
"I know." He nodded. "I grew up with you too.
" "Yes, Niklas, you've always been someone special..." He walked up to them and nodded solemnly at Hitomi in farewell.
Then all three of them left. She hugged the child closer to her, and that's how Niklas found her.
"Have they left already?" she asked, lifting her head.
"Yes, unfortunately, we have to leave tonight. My friends warned me. The rebel forces will arrive soon, and then they won't save us.
" "Now?! And Vengel, Alexander, and Leylia!? What about our friends? Will we not tell them anything?" she asked, astonished, rising. Niklas took the child from her and placed it on their large bed.
"Take everything we need. Don't worry about them. They're in no danger."
"Why are you so sure?
" "They told me," he replied, pulling a suitcase from the closet.
"You have amazing friends." Irony laced her voice.
"Hitomi, please, you have to hurry!
" "Now," she replied quickly, and ran to the bathroom to change.
They needed less than an hour to get ready for the trip. Everything happened so quickly, she almost forgot about the money she'd been hiding under one of the cabinets. It all added up to quite a substantial sum. However, Niklas decided they'd empty all their bank accounts just in case, because you never knew what might happen. Finally, they sat in the car. Hitomi breathed a sigh of relief and looked at Mikael in her hands. Her husband started the engine, and they drove off. The roads were almost empty, yet they were increasingly seeing dark silhouettes flitting along the road. Hitomi was afraid, but Niklas kept his composure. Suddenly, the car stopped. Someone stood in their way, blocking their progress. Then he walked up to the car and, with the barrel of his gun, motioned for Niklas to step outside.
"Well?" the stranger asked in a hoarse voice. "Who are we?
" "I'm one of you. If you don't want to believe me, you can find out," her husband replied calmly.
Hitomi froze. "My God, he's Entra!" she thought, her eyes widening. "He was from the very beginning! My husband, my husband..." She looked at the man with the gun, who hesitated for a moment. Finally, he pressed a thin tube into her husband's arm and stood for a moment, looking at him expectantly.
"Okay, you can go..." he finally decided. "But take this, it'll help you on your way...
" "Thanks." Niklas got into the car and, putting on his armband, drove on.
He didn't look at his wife once, didn't say a word. Hitomi, too, was too shocked by her discovery to utter a word. Leon, Kamui, and Chichiro... They were also Entra, that's why he'd grown up with them, that's why he knew them. Those were their reasons for helping her give birth to Mikael! She understood everything now. Niklas hadn't rushed to leave simply because he felt unpunished and safe in a city overrun by his... Exactly, what were they to him? She felt her trembling hands involuntarily tighten around the bundle in which her son lay. The hated Entra who had killed her parents... Just today she'd learned she was married to one of them. Oh horror! Oh sweet lies! My world was falling apart. What was even going on here!? This war, so senseless and pointless... And the mafia?! Were they... Or maybe they weren't human either?! They were so easily able to kill people! She'd never thought about it that way, and now that the truth was dawning on her, she felt terribly deceived. How could she have been so blind? Suddenly, she felt the car stop. She looked unseeingly at her husband, who was staring blankly out the window. They didn't say anything, only those unbearable, sharp breaths betrayed their nervousness.
"Yes, it's true that I am Entra. I am one of them. My parents and my grandparents were also part of the chosen ones. I'm proud of that, even now, when so many terrible things are happening because of us. I only feel sorry for you, because Mikael is also Entra, a part of me. And you are only human. Hitomi, whatever that means to you right now, know that I love you..." A deafening silence fell, in which Hitomi heard the soft whimpers of her son.
"Sorry, he's hungry..." she said with a lump in her throat and walked to the back of the car.
So Niklas couldn't see her. She slowly unbuttoned her blouse and brought Mikael to her chest. He immediately calmed down. Niklas seemed to wait, but Hitomi had no intention of answering. What was happening to her? She loved him with all her heart. But now that she'd learned the truth, she felt a certain resentment towards him. Why hadn't he told her anything!? Did he not want to, or was he simply afraid of her reaction?! Oh Niklas, how much pain you caused me! How much it hurts... Traitorous tears rolled down her cheeks and fell onto Mikael's blanket. But Niklas didn't see her tears; he was too absorbed in his own thoughts. What was he thinking? He didn't know why he hid everything so carefully from his beloved wife. No! He wasn't ashamed of who he was, quite the opposite! But in moments like these, he was always afraid of her reaction. After all, she believed the Entra were monsters. So what would she think if it turned out he was one of those monsters!? Would she decide to marry him after all?! Would she want a child with Entra?! The origins of biorobots stretch back a dozen or so years. It was in Japan that the first Entra were produced, conquering the world with their idealism and intelligence. Everyone thought they were just robots, without feelings or dreams. But things were different! No one expected these beings to also feel, trust, cry, laugh, and live like others... Only after several very unpleasant incidents caused by Entra did they decide to discontinue production. It wasn't that easy, however; Entra didn't want to die. Like humans, they harbored a will to live. So they began to persecute them, destroy them with violence, kill them, and abuse them in many ways. In the end, the Entra refused to admit who they truly were. It wasn't that difficult... Years passed, the Entra seemed to no longer exist, and the world forgot them almost like last year's snow. But they lived, mingled with ordinary people. No one thought they could spark an entire uprising! Gone were the days when the Entra willingly allowed themselves to be psychologically destroyed. Their hour had come! Now they would show that humans, in their madness, overreach! They wanted to go too far, disregarding any feelings. The time had come! Let what must be... Niklas was also one of them, but unlike his companions, he was friendly towards people. Especially when he met Hitomi, his beloved... For the first time, he felt a warmth within him, enveloping his heart. Yes, this was his first love. He loved and loves her with all his heart. Sometimes he wondered why humans had created them at all?! What purpose did they have!? Surely they weren't meant to be just a commodity on the market?! Or was that how it was supposed to be? No! He didn't want to think that way about his poor ancestors! He didn't want... He didn't even notice when night had passed... The sun was already rising. Fortunately, they were already outside the city and could safely stop.Hitomi seemed to be asleep, he wasn't sure because he was afraid to look over his high seat. So he quietly stepped outside to stretch his legs. Then he sat on the hood of the car and breathed in the cool morning air.
"Are you hungry?" Hitomi asked, handing him the sandwich.
Niklas looked at her in surprise and only after a moment took a slice from her. Hitomi sat down next to him. They slowly chewed their breakfast without saying a word.
"You're angry, aren't you?" he asked. Hitomi looked at him, her eyes unreadable.
"I only feel regret." She looked at the slice in her hand. "Terrible regret... Why didn't you tell me? Was it so difficult!? No... I don't think I love you as much as I do now because of it, quite the opposite...
" "I'm sorry, my dearest. I was afraid of your reaction, everyone was so afraid. You yourself called us monsters...
" "Yes, yes, I understand your regret now. If only I knew..." She looked at him, her eyes watering. Niklas, in a surge of tenderness, hugged her.
"Don't ever do that to me again..." she whispered reproachfully.
"I promise you, you're the most important person in the world to me!" He smiled at her uncertainly.
"I love you.
" "I love you even more. So you won't worry about us anymore?
" "No, if you're Entra, I'll be at peace," she whispered, raising her eyes to his.
"God, I love you
," he moaned tenderly. The journey took several days, and Hitomi struggled to find her bearings in the terrible reality filled with corpses, ruins, and blood. She knew this, knew how much suffering came with each person who fell here. Niklas looked at her with concern. He had at least hoped that Mikael would comfort her. And indeed he did. Hitomi perked up around him, but a dark shadow of fear and terror clouded her once-bright eyes. Niklas tried to turn her worries away from her, but he rarely succeeded. Hitomi was too stuck in her childhood memories. Now she was 29, and Niklas was 32. The age difference didn't bother them much, though. They were very, very happy together.
"Keep your eyes on the road," she smiled, looking at Niklas, who was glancing in the rearview mirror.
"I could look at you all my life!" He laughed and looked at the road.
Another day passed. Niklas had barely slept during the nights; too much was happening. Now Hitomi was worried about him.
"Go to bed at last..." she said one winter night.
Silver snow was falling outside the windows.
"A few more kilometers to Osaka and that's it for today," he replied calmly.
"No! I want to go for a ride too," she replied, handing him her son.
"But Hitomi," he sighed. "
There's a blanket in the back, you can cover yourself with it," she informed him. "Mikaela, put her in your arms, okay?
" "You're a sweetheart," he whispered, grateful for the favor she had done him.
Hitomi walked along the illuminated street towards the town that lay on the way to their longed-for destination.
CHAPTER XXV
When she woke up, she was surprised to find their car parked in the port parking lot. She still remembered going yesterday to inquire about the ships. She was lucky she'd brought the blindfold Entra had given her a few days earlier. Otherwise, she would surely have been killed on the spot. So they told her that all the ships were locked in port and that no one could use them. Especially now, with Christmas approaching. Exactly! Christmas... What would Christmas be like for them!? A car and a few sandwiches?! Christmas greetings? No, I don't want to have that kind of Christmas. She returned to the car, her hands freezing. It was terribly cold, even inside. She turned on the air conditioning. Finally, it was possible to warm up a little inside. She looked at her husband's calm face. Mikael only started whimpering. He was probably wet. She gently pulled him out of her arms and changed his diaper. Then she fell asleep with him in her arms. Niklas woke her when he found a place for his little family to stay. They took only their money and went to their rooms on the fourth floor. They realized with horror that the conditions were simply appalling, and it would be difficult for them to acclimate themselves here for a few days. Maybe even weeks. Niklas first threw a few rats out the window, as they were already so weak they couldn't escape. Then he shook out the duvet and cracked the window.
"Won't we get anything better?" Hitomi asked desperately.
"Unfortunately, this is the best hotel in the area..." Niklas admitted, sitting on the bed.
"Too bad, we'll wait for the ship and sail away." She smiled, tucking Mikael into bed.
Then they went for a bath and, with difficulty, forced themselves to sleep. They placed a cabinet under the door to prevent anyone from stealing anything. A few days passed, and unlike the rooms, the food here proved quite tolerable. But Hitomi found it difficult to take anything in. Soon, she was running out of milk for Mikael. Niklas was going crazy with worry. Hitomi just cried quietly.
"My poor son..." she sobbed. "I really can't keep anything down...
" "It's okay..." Niklas consoled her. "Don't worry, we'll sort it out somehow..."
So a doctor was called in, who bluntly stated that... Hitomi was pregnant. Before the doctor could even leave, Niklas had lifted her up. He was so happy that she was back in her blissful state. That was why she hadn't eaten anything, no wonder... They both hoped Hitomi would soon regain her appetite. Less than a week had passed, and everything had returned to normal. Only Mikael had lost a little weight.
"You have to be careful now..."
"I, you know, Niklas, I didn't expect this?
" "Do you think I did?" he laughed.
"I hope it's a girl this time," Hitomi stated.
"If not, we can try again." He put his arm around her.
"You know?!?" she asked, blushing.
"I wouldn't mind, would you?
" "Me neither," she admitted. "I just hope it's born on our island..."
"It should be. You don't even have morning sickness yet.
" "Exactly, what am I worried about?
" "You shouldn't worry about anything. Everything will be fine.
" "And when does our ship leave?
" "The day after tomorrow.
" "After Christmas?
" "Yes, and us? What are we doing for Christmas?
" "But we don't have anywhere else to go!
" "But we can still have a little celebration, right?" he smiled.
"You're a sweetheart." She laughed happily.
"I know..." he admitted modestly.
"Will everything be alright now? I'm afraid our worries aren't over yet...
" "No need. Once we get to our island, everything will be alright.
" "Let's hope so, because we still have such a long way to go..." she was very skeptical.
"You have to worry about everything, don't you?"
"Oh, Niklas, it's not that hard.
" "I guess, but couldn't you think positively!?" he asked.
"Sure..." She laughed, sitting up in bed.
"Shall we go to sleep?" he asked, looking at Mikael.
"Yes. I'm tired from today's trip to the port...
" "What a mess," he said, taking off his blouse.
"I didn't expect these sweats... that Entra were capable of this...
" "We've already talked about this, haven't we?
" "Yes." She nodded, slipping under the covers. "But I don't understand them.
" "I thought revenge was the oldest motive in the world.
" "Well, yes, but. You're right." She looked at Mikael. He was sleeping so sweetly. "Look how beautiful he is..."
"Of course, he has beautiful parents..." Niklas admitted.
"What will become of him when we're gone?" she whispered to her husband.
"He'll definitely be grown up and independent..."
"Sure," she smiled. "I hope so!"
They both fell asleep. The next morning was Christmas Eve. As head of the family, Niklas took them to a tiny café where they ate Christmas lunch and dinner. It was quite clean, with no signs of Christmas, just a poor Christmas tree standing in the corner. They were still very happy; the world didn't exist for them, it was just them and no one else... They didn't even realize it, and it was time to pack for the trip. Hitomi chattered happily as they rode in their beloved car, aboard the enormous ship that would take them to one of the larger islands, and then on their private boat to Nipu. There wasn't much to say about the flow of the journey. Hitomi probably thought she was seasick, which was bothering her terribly. She was further terrified by the knowledge that there were an incredible number of Entra on the ship. They were probably heading to the first island... A shiver ran down her spine as she thought of her poor parents. Then she sought solace from her husband, who had never refused her help. The first two days passed very peacefully, only then did they learn that there were people on the ship who had previously introduced themselves as Entra. Hitomi became hysterical. She didn't want to die yet, like the woman they had shot. Where is Niklas!? Had he gone to the car!? Exactly... My God, what will become of me!? She stared wide-eyed at the men approaching her. She was terrified, but the desire to protect her two-year-old son took over. She straightened and calmly sat down on a large wooden crate against the wall.
"There's someone else there," one said.
"Look how pretty!" another added, which was probably the only reason they didn't kill her on the spot.
"Konnihiwa gentlemen!" she smiled as sweetly as only she could. The men approached her.
"Who are you?
" "Hitomi, this is my son..." she pointed to the boy in her arms.
"Let's see if it's Entra." He pulled out a knife to cut the little one's skin. The blood was the easiest way to tell who was who. Entra had bluish blood.
"No!" she objected fiercely.
"Why not!?" he asked teasingly.
"He's so little. He could catch some disease and...
" "Stop it, we're immune to most diseases."
"But not children..." she whispered, disconcerted.
"Give them here." He pulled Mikael from her arms. The girl rushed toward him, but the other held her fast.
"Don't hurt him! I beg you..." she whispered desperately.
But the man, ignoring her words, cut her son's arm. Mikael began to cry. Hitomi was terrified; he had never cried like that before!
"And now you..." he said, placing the bundle on the ground.
Mikael had blue blood, he was naturally Entra. Hitomi backed away, but she couldn't escape. As red blood seeped from her wound, she looked in horror at the man's grinning face.
"Who did you have this child with?
" "With Entra, with my husband..." she gritted through her teeth.
"Really?" he asked.
"Yes.
" "So where is he?
" "In the lower part of the ship, is that so strange?
" "We'll give him the child, and we'll kill you.
" "No! Please, no. I'm carrying another child... I want it so badly..." she cried involuntarily.
"Stop crying!" he shouted, swinging his knife.
But he didn't do anything to Hitomi, he couldn't, because the ship shook with such a powerful roar that everyone fell to the ground. Before she could recover, she realized the others had fled to the deck.
"Mikael..." she whispered, looking at her crying son.
Something told her she should run. Absolutely. So she grabbed her son and ran up the stairs outside. Only then did she realize the ship was sinking. She gasped in terror, knowing she'd never escape. It was a death trap. Niklas! Niklas, where could he be? She needed him now like never before! She looked around the deck, terrified, but couldn't see him.
"Hitomi!" someone shouted behind her.
"Niklas..." she whispered, turning back. Her husband was very pale.
"Let's go to the car." He pulled her hand and told her to run after him. Before she could even close the door properly, he was already driving away.
"Niklas, he won't fly more than 15 miles above water..." she whispered, looking at the sea below them.
"We have to try. It's our only chance," he muttered through his teeth.
"It's good that we're together, even though we'll die together.
" "Don't say such nonsense," he said, outraged.
"I'm not saying..." she whispered. "I'm just scared.
" "I'm with you, honey...
" "Niklas, I'm scared..." she cried, holding her son in her arms.
"I promise you, we'll get through this somehow..."
CHAPTER XXVI
After several hours of non-stop driving, the engine stopped and the whole car shook so violently that it woke Mikael from his sleep. Hitomi looked at her terrified husband, who, turning increasingly pale, began desperately turning the key in the ignition.
"What's happening!?" his wife whispered.
"Gasoline, we've run out of gas..." he groaned, and at the same moment the car plummeted onto the water's surface.
Hitomi screamed shrilly, which alarmed Mikael even more. The girl didn't remember much, the water and the waves... Her pale husband struggling against his seatbelt, and Mikael, poor little Mikael... It wasn't until the night that she regained consciousness, lying on the sandy shore of some island, her husband lying next to her with Mikael in his arms. How had they gotten here?! How had they gotten out of the car full of water!? Only now had it dawned on her how close they were to death. But why wasn't Niklas getting up!? Why was he still lying unconscious on the sand with Mikael sobbing in his arms?! Oh no! Could he?! She struggled to her feet and went to her husband.
"Niklas!" she whispered, lifting his head. "Niklas!? Please speak! You can't die now!"
She was so shaken by it all that she couldn't gather her thoughts. She didn't know exactly how long she'd been sitting over her husband, but when she heard footsteps, it was already dawn... Suddenly, someone stood behind her. She looked at the tall man with wide eyes and whispered a plea for help. And indeed, the man agreed without hesitation. He carried Niklas home. But Hito-mi had to drag herself back to the warm house with her son. When she managed to sit up, she stared mutely at the woman trying to breathe life into her husband. Meanwhile, her rescuer was saying something to her, but she couldn't hear what he was saying. She felt only despair. A young man took the child she'd been holding in her arms and went into the other room. She watched them for a moment, then turned her terrified, empty eyes back to her husband. When, after a few minutes, she managed to speak, she only whispered: "Will he live?"
"I don't know, miss..." the innkeeper replied quietly.
Hitomi wanted to cry, sob, and scream at the top of her lungs. But she had no energy left in her... She collapsed onto the bed. In wet clothes, with beautiful hair now scattered all over the bed. She stared at the ceiling, her breathing quick and wheezing... So many years! So many long, terrible years... ?This escape, the water... Blood, I see blood everywhere... Is it the blood of those I killed? How many were there, exactly? Countless. For what purpose did they die, and in the name of what? She couldn't answer these questions... Tears flowed from her eyes. So many years, without parents or loved ones. So many years among killers without conscience. And she? No! She was no better... Silent sobs tore through her body as she thought about it... A young man leaned over her; he had fair hair and blue eyes. She had never seen such wonderful eyes in her life. Beautiful lips smiled at her, but it was such a sad smile that she couldn't understand it...
"You have a fever..." he said in a soft voice.
"My husband... My husband..." she whispered emphatically. But he didn't say anything. Hitomi understood what he meant. She understood.
"No!" She shook her head, rising. "NO!"
She screamed at the top of her lungs, pounding his chest with her fists. She sobbed so hard that sometimes they thought she was going mad. But she didn't cry for what she'd done in the past, for everything that had passed. No! Pain tore through her, terrible, so terrible that it tore her heart apart... Finally, she sank back onto the pillows to lie there for the rest of her life. Only two days had passed, and Hitomi felt sick enough to whisper her last words to them... Her last words before the birth that would take her life.
"...Take care of my children, I beg you!" she sobbed quietly.
"But, Miss!
" "I don't want to live, I don't want to live without Niklas..." she whispered.
"And for your children?" the landlady asked sternly.
"Tell them that we... that I loved them very much...
Brak komentarzy:
Prześlij komentarz